When you travel to dive do you do anything else?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Depends where the trip is --

Some trips are dive dive dive, with only 1 day of sightseeing or adventure tours.
Some trips are a mix IF there are interesting things to do.
Going to Yucatan area of Mexico, I cannot imagine only diving (but of course we have done it several times) since the Mayan ruins are right there!
Going to Hawaii, lots of fascinating things to see culturally topside, as well as waterfalls and volcanoes to hike.

other trips we have been on, it was difficult to find things to do even on the last off-gassing day.

---------- Post added May 10th, 2013 at 07:31 AM ----------

With me it depends on the destination but these days I allow some time for land based sightseeing. I have 4 days on land after my Fiji liveaboard trip in July. In January I am going to the Cayman Islands via Miami and have 4 days exploring the Everglades on the way back. I plan to see something of the Bali Arts & Cultural Festival when I go there in June next year.

Just returned from three weeks in the Philippines. During the 17 days I actually dove, I did 60 dives so there was little time for anything except eating and sleeping. When I hit Manila for the last few days, I met up with several sets of friends from there to party since diving in Manila proper is non-existent.

I'm a newbie to diving but I intend to do just as much exploring on land as underwater :) I have purchased a guide for my next trip so I can plan make the most of my time there - hope that's not too sad, i do have ocd - that's my excuse anyway :)

B

With a 4 year old and non-diving wife I'm lucky to get 6 dives in on a vacation. I do however also enjoy the on-land activities as much as diving (well almost as much). This year with 4 weeks spent in Grand Cayman, Kauai and Barbados I should be able to squeeze in 14 dives. 6 more years til the son is certified then it's game on:)

Great photos Bob! Thanks for sharing! Your website is really informative also.

No matter where one ends up diving in the world, it's always fun to explore the area and get to know the locals. For us this time is usually when we off gas before departure and usually during a break we take in the middle of our trip, especially if we've been doing a lot of repetitive diving for several days straight. We have been blessed to make great friends with locals in the countries we visit; they have taken us to their favorite places, given us special tours, and invited us to special events.

It's a privilege to scuba dive around the globe and visit other cultures and countries, and we never take this for granted.

Sometimes I just go to dive, but usually I try to do some land based activities to see culture/nature. It does depend on the destination as in some places there really isn't anything interesting to see on land. I am, however, very embarrassed to tell people that I have been to Egypt twice but never seen the pyramids.

. . . . I am, however, very embarrassed to tell people that I have been to Egypt twice but never seen the pyramids.

I am the opposite. When I visited Egypt, I saw the pyramids, Cairo, museum, did a multi-day camel trek in the Sinai, and between all of that I managed to squeeze in a few days of diving in Dahab.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom