Child sized equipment?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My teenager is tall and skinny.

BP/W is the way to go, as others have said, it will never be outgrown.

Good luck finding a wetsuit that fits. Told my kid he needs to eat more, like maybe butter sticks for snacks.

I am (I presume) a typical father, and have no idea what size his feet are. Lol
i was assisting with an open water class a couple weeks ago, (I am crossing over from PADI to NAUI) and we had a 12 year old, in the class, that was a little bigger than my son and his parents couldn't find a wetsuit small enough for him.

My 12 yr old son still fits his XXS Zuma BCD from when he was 10. He's still skinny as a rail but I know eventually the growth spurts will kick in.

We first tried the Seasoft BCD XXS to XL one size fits all. What a load of crap. 2nd dive the bladder started leaking. It was HEAVY and to be adjustable there were loose straps everywhere. Got the Zuma in exchange and have not looked back. If memory serves the Zuma was the only weight integrated XXS BCD we could get. There was another one but we found out it was a US model only. Being skinny with no hips a weight belt just keeps falling off him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Zuma is made by aqualung. No disrespect to everyone who has mentioned a back plate and wing, but before you invest look at how wide the back plate is. If the shoulder straps are too wide they will fall off the shoulders, you can criss cross the straps but make sure that your son is COMFORTABLE in anything you buy him. You wouldn't buy clothes with the idea that some day he will grow into them why try to do the same thing with scuba gear? And before I get flamed I own several back plates and several bc's, they are just tools, use the right one. Nothing will turn off your child than equipment that is uncomfortable.

When my daughter started diving she was 10 yrs old.

I found a very small BCD made by US Divers (Aqualung) and she used that for 6 years before moving to a larger BCD and now at 21 yrs she is still using it.

Wetsuits are easy go get for kids too as are fins, never been an issue.

Her first regulator second stage was an Aqualung Micra with a small comfobite mouthpiece, never had any issues

One of my 30cu ft ponys worked well for her too

She has no problem carrying an 80 these days but rarely needs so much gas and usually uses a 63 or a 50

The other jacket is the Scubapro Pilot. Seems they don't make it weight integrated at all anymore.

Come to think of it I need to check his boots to make sure they fit. I'd have to say the biggest cost so far are wetsuits. We all have Apeks XTX200 and no issues with the mouthpieces. Not cheap but we also have Atomic Cobalts as well.

My son trained with a 60 but on boat dives we seem to end up with 80s. Our last trip me and him ended up with the same air! He darted around and was a bit cold while I was just freezing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Go do a dive shop that specialized in teaching youth to swim. SSI has a program called (what else) SSI, or Swim Schools International. AL make wetsuits for kids learning to swim under the Aquasphere brand (Note: I am neither a Aqualung dealer not a SSI instructor). You should be able to find smaller suits for the skinny among us.

Back
Top Bottom