Incredible ad from GreenPeace Australia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While I support many of Green Peace’s concepts for conservation; I do not agree with many of their highly notorious methods. Destruction of personal property and especially endangering people’s lives are just as unscrupulous as the commercial efforts that they are fighting, e.g. whaling. IMO Eco-terrorism is still terrorism.

This video does visually point out a good point that plastic can have profane side effects to wildlife and their ecosystems. Like Dan, I would have liked to see the “other side” of the story. If Coke-Cola is fighting a reasonable piece of legislation, than shame on them and they should be exposed for their efforts to but profits ahead of the welfare of the environment. While Coke might be a giant, David did sleigh Goliath and it wasn’t using the same tactics and be being a brut, it was being my resourceful with what he had. Coke is a slave to commercial profits and thus is driven to generate profits over other priorities. It is in their profits that they need to either be attacked (good luck with that one…people worldwide will buy Coke regardless of how many warm and fuzzy videos are produced) or someone should work with them and develop viable alternatives to their current methods of productions. This way you can give the environment friendly consumers their cake and let them eat it too.

Green Peace and Coke-Cola develop environmentally friendly bottle…together. Looking at these two organization's agendas that just might be a “PipeDream” for now. :acid:

I'd like to see a dime deposit on all plastic bottles, more on bottles larger than a pint, encouraging recycling. I recycle all soda cans and all plastic I can, but I'd like to see it pushed more. It's raise costs, sure - but there should be more costs to those who won't carry a refillable jug and use it.

I'd like to see a dime deposit on all plastic bottles, more on bottles larger than a pint, encouraging recycling. I recycle all soda cans and all plastic I can, but I'd like to see it pushed more. It's raise costs, sure - but there should be more costs to those who won't carry a refillable jug and use it.

Coke sells 1.8 Billion bottles per day worldwide (Coca-Cola Company Statistics | Statistic Brain). With Don's 10¢ per bottle deposit that equals $180M per day or $65.7B per year. Such an endeavor would not affect Coke's profits, but would go a long ways in producing recycling and educational promotions. The good that could come out of a major commercial/environmental alliance could be staggering with long-term benefits.

Green Peace and Coke-Cola develop environmentally friendly bottle…together. Looking at these two organization's agendas that just might be a “PipeDream” for now. :acid:

Everytime I look at your colorful letters, I see DiaperJam.....which would suitably describe the two agendas getting mashed together.....as well as PipeDream anyway.

Coke sells 1.8 Billion bottles per day worldwide (Coca-Cola Company Statistics | Statistic Brain). With Don's 10¢ per bottle deposit that equals $180M per day or $65.7B per year. Such an endeavor would not affect Coke's profits, but would go a long ways in producing recycling and educational promotions. The good that could come out of a major commercial/environmental alliance could be staggering with long-term benefits.
Coke would pass the costs on to the customer, but customer/retailer/manufacturer - let them pay: soft drink bottles, "fruit" juices, personal water bottles, whatever. They'd still get tossed some, somewhat less, but then others would gather them for redemption. The could not be washed & reused like the glass bottles used to be, in the US anyway as some countries still use reusable bottles, but they would end up in recycle bins like one I visited today - rather than all over.

My family wanted to camp at a nearby lake last time, spend time on the beach, play in the yucky water not taken by the drought yet. I was worried about fishhooks & lines, or family members vanishing in the brown water, so I sit around watching - but was disgusted by the large number of bottles that littered the shore. Lake people tend to be different than park people. I gathered a large bag, but no one else wanted to help.

Everytime I look at your colorful letters, I see DiaperJam.....which would suitably describe the two agendas getting mashed together.....as well as PipeDream anyway.
Yeah, a couple of your letters are too bright for proper effect. :silly:

401776_473599302714642_724403494_n.jpg

Last edited:
While I support many of Green Peace’s concepts for conservation; I do not agree with many of their highly notorious methods. Destruction of personal property and especially endangering people’s lives are just as unscrupulous as the commercial efforts that they are fighting, e.g. whaling. IMO Eco-terrorism is still terrorism.

What has Greenpeace done to endanger people's lives? Don't confuse Sea Shepard with Greenpeace. Paul Watson the founder of Sea Shepard was expelled from Greenpeace in 1977.

"Eco-terrorism is still terrorism"

Well, I haven't read or heard anything about anyone from Greenpeace, or even Sea Shepherd, planting roadside IEDs, exploding pressure cookers, or blowing themselves up in crowds. But then again I don't watch Fox News so maybe I missed it. More important, however, whatever you call those groups' activities, it's clear that the white glove, make nice, please don't pollute, please don't exterminate another species, type of "action" does not and never has worked. Call it terrorism if it suits you, but these groups and others like them are working to prevent a far worse terror.

"Eco-terrorism is still terrorism"

Well, I haven't read or heard anything about anyone from Greenpeace, or even Sea Shepherd, planting roadside IEDs, exploding pressure cookers, or blowing themselves up in crowds. But then again I don't watch Fox News so maybe I missed it. More important, however, whatever you call those groups' activities, it's clear that the white glove, make nice, please don't pollute, please don't exterminate another species, type of "action" does not and never has worked. Call it terrorism if it suits you, but these groups and others like them are working to prevent a far worse terror.

Something new must be attempted. Neither those methods which you are advocating, nor those which you are condemning are effective. Attaching an economic incentive to recycling seems on the surface like a decent idea to me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom