PADI AOW through specialties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PADI Instructor Manual lists (1) only Cavern, Ice, Search and Recovery and Semi-Closed Rebreather (Dolphin/Atlantis) as requiring Advanced Open Water certification as a prerequisite. From 28 listed specialty courses, that is a tiny majority (4/28). Plus Tec40 and Tec Sidemount and also DM.

That said, the instructor may accept "proof of certification beyond entry-level (at least two certifications total); proof of 20 or more logged dives; documented experience in deep diving and underwater navigation"(2) in lieu of PADI AOW certification.

(1) 2013 PADI Instructor Manual, General Standards and Procedures, Summary of PADI Specialty Courses - Key Standards
(2) 2013 PADI Instructor Manual, General Standards and Procedures, Training Standards.

I was more referring to the PADI Pro Chain.

But from the specialties listed I would qualify Ice, Cavern and SCR as 'advanced' as opposed to such courses as the AWARE and Naturalist Specialties

Hi,

I have an SSI open water cert, the GUE Primer and I have taken the PADI PPB and Nitrox specialties, and one PADI dive propulsion vehicle dive. I have 87 dives under my belt since beginning diving in July 2012. I wanted to take Deep diving but they want me to take the AOW course and that will cost me 400.00.

Now clearly that is a waste of money if I can just do one more adventure dive and qualify for deep. Now they are telling me that the books and material are still required. My questions are can I just take the specialty course for navigation (for 125), then do I automatically hold the AD rating? This would qualify me for deep diving (225) and I could still take one more specialty and pay just 75 more and have more training and get AOW?

I can't seem to find if this is the case. I did do a lot of searches and most people hint that this can be done but advise to take the AOW. I don't feel this best fits my circumstances.

Thoughts?

Thanks,

Jerrod

You did the GUE primer. Why not go for Fundamentals, that will qualify you for Nitrox and dives up to 30 m / 100 ft. Sufficient for most dives. And if you pass with a tech rating you are ready for Cave of Tech courses...
You have experience with GUE courses and SSI/PADI. So You can make a choice based on experience. I would say spending money on Fundamentals is the better investment.

Hi guys,

Thanks for all the responses.

I managed to get a hold of the instructor and the AOW course is 250 + 50.00 book and about 100 for an AOW package (thus the 400). I had a 50.00 credit so I did the navigation this weekend, and this coming weekend I am doing the deep dive specialty. He said it is absolutely required to buy the book and do the knowledge reviews if I wanted to AOW card. I will probably do that so that I have the card if I want to move on.

The guy that did the GUE primer with me stopped teaching for GUE because of lack of students and now only does PADI. He, however, teaches all his classes for me exactly like the GUE course, if possible. After completing the deep diver specialty, he said I would have the equivalent of the GUE Fundamentals Rec.

I really like this instructor. I will probably stick with him for at least tec 40 and then branch out. I wish there was an IANTD near by or even TDI but Louisville, Kentucky, USA is not tech diving central :).

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom