Unsure if I will be able to dive again

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jandee

Contributor
Reaction score
Waterford,Wi, about 25 miles from the Milwaukee Ha
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I'm a diving fanatic, dive year round, under the ice, Lake Michigan, inland lakes, and warm salt water. I started having symptoms that might be related to my heart before my trip to Fiji. I did fine with the diving in Fiji and 1 cold water dive on Memorial Day. Right now diving is on hold and I'm waiting for my echocardiogram results to come back before I decide to dive again.
I plan to call DAN once my results are back and hopefully get the green light to dive. Other them my husband and favorite dive buddy no one understands how worried I am about never being able to dive again.

Wow, I really feel for you. It is great that you are following through with medical advice and DAN. There are also physicians that specialize in diving related medicine and that might be a resource for you, too. I would be so disappointed to learn that I would never dive again. I hope you get some good news! My thought are with you.

Good luck and I hope you get good news. Like you I'm a fanatic about diving and a few years ago I thought I was having a heart attack. Long story short, I didn't but they found blockage and I needed bypass. My 2 questions before going in were, assuming no complications after I recover can I still dive? And do I have to switch to decaf? The answers were yes and no. I said ok cut.

Something I always tell my patients in the field is to not think all hope is lost until you have a doctor tell you something specific with solid proof to back it up. Even then, always get a second opinion. Chin up, hope for the best. Remember, PADI and other agencies have nothing that says you can't dive with X condition, they lay that decision on the physician.

Oh, I am sorry. I hope all works out well and you get good news!

After a friend of ours died as a result of complications underwater from a known heart condition, my husband and I made a promise that if we ever faced something like that we would stop diving. I will hold to that, but it certainly would be very, very difficult to give up something I enjoy so much.

Back
Top Bottom