Vintage Scubapro 108 / R190 / MK3 - what to do?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

H2ODoc

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Received this gear from a friend who no longer dives. Thinking about having it serviced, and diving with it, and giving my 13 year old son my newer regs. Would you be concerned about the safety of diving with this (after being serviced), or is it just as reliable as modern equipment?

What would you do?

I think it's a 108 2nd stage, and MKIII 1st stage. I also have some Dacor and Oceanic depth/pressure gauges that I hope are serviceable.

Or.... should I sell this to a museum? :)

IMG_2513_zpscc58fbe6.jpg

IMG_2433_zps85f84d5c.jpg

IMG_2428_zpscfc040c1.jpg

the 1st stage is a Mk10. That gear is every bit as reliable and functional as brand new comparable regulators.

It might even have been updated to the MK10+(it does have an updated dust cap and waist boot)......look at the end cap and if it is satin chrome then it's a Plus and uses the current HP seat.
Couple of things to check for on the 108.
Are the rubber bits good? If not, it's about $30 to replace the exhaust T and purge cover.
Have a look at the exhaust mushroom, if it looks like there are 2, one on top of the other, then it's an early 108 and it can be a pain to get at the rubber mushroom.
The MK10 R190 is a fine set and not the least bit vintage.

Last edited:
Thanks awap and fishpie.... here are some more pics. Looks like the regular MK10?

IMG_2516_zps3bb39d43.jpg

IMG_2515_zps7b61aed3.jpg

IMG_2514_zpsef0324a5.jpg

The second stage from your second set of pics is an R108HP. This is a very rugged, reliable and easy reg to do your own service on. I would put the whole thing back into service without any worries.

Use them for sure if a good reg tech does the service and say they're fine. Be dubious if someone tells you he can't service them or can't get parts any more. Externally yours look fine and this board frequently turns up stories of people saying similar regs are too old to work on.

FWIW I purchased a Mk10/108 covered in white and green crap last year. I paid less for the regs that I did for the service and they came up fabulously. I've put over 50 dives on them and they've been top-notch the whole time. If I was your 13yo son I'd be baying for these regs rather than your new ones!

I would say if all depends on price to get the unit into safe diveable condition. The MK10 regulator is one of the best designs and if service properly then use it. Be sure to use a good Scubapro trained tech and since your not the original owner then parts may get expensive. I still own a MK5 from the 1970s which I use as a backup regulator but have now changed to a Mares Abyss because it breaths so much better. Get a quote on repair costs vs a new regulator and see how much difference there is. You could also sell the old Scubapro on Ebay then take the money and invest in a new regulator or some shops may even let your trade in the old unit.

The Mk-10 is not where near old enough to be considered Vintage, the R190 for sure isn't. In any case, you have a very solid modern regulator that will hold it's own with most any on the market today and outlast most of them if you take reasonable care of it. Don't worry about the parts price, that is reg salesman BS to get you to buy a new reg. Sure you will pay for parts but that reg does not need service more than evey 3 or 4 years, most will go longer. So what if you pay $50-75 in parts every 3 years, you also save the $75-100 in labor cost each year you skip a service that would be mandatory if you buy new...and if I remember correctly, SP now requires you to not only purchase a reg but a BC as well to get the parts for life. Better yet, learn to service it yourself and save the labor cost as well. This board has a great bunch of SP DIYers that can help you along. Unless you have zero tools, the few special tools you need are easily covered buy the cost of one official service....and there is no garrentee that that will be done correctly.
What I would do is to sell the R190 and find a good 109 second to replace it with. Now you have a great second stage to go with the first. Service the entire set and dive it.

I just checked the prices of MK-10 kits on Vintage Double hose- MK-10 is $15, the 108 and 109 kits are $5 which makes the parts cost of a DIY service $25 every few years...find a new reg that can match that. Granted, these are aftermarket parts but quality orings are quality orings reguardless of who sells them to you.

Be sure to use a good Scubapro trained tech and since your not the original owner then parts may get expensive.

And hence, the problem...

Instead, just learn to service it yourself and you'll have a great new hobby.

What I would do is to sell the R190 and find a good 109 second to replace it with. Now you have a great second stage to go with the first. Service the entire set and dive it.

+1

Thanks peeps!

I'm going to bring it by the shop where I bought my / my wife's SP regs/BCDs and talk to him about it.

The previous owner is one of those super-neat, very organized, everything-in-it's place type of guys, so I feel confident that it's been maintained over the years. He was also a DM in Bonaire for many years back in the 80's, so I look fwd to taking this gear back to BON and using it as intended.

It's funny, though.... I feel, for safety's sake, that I should give my new gear to my son. Weird perception: older gear isn't as reliable. Right? Ironically, I'm old, but more reliable than I was when young..... :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom