Buy my own tank?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have four: one HP 130, one LP 95 and two ALU 80's. Only one of the tanks, an ALU 80 was bought new. I want to sell the 130, its just too big for me. I'd like another LP 95, filled to 3,000 PSI, short and fat, it's a great format. The local spot I dive the most charges $8 for a fill. My LDS gives me better fills for less, and they mix nitrox (membrane system) and trimix (not that I use trimix at this point). Having a known quality tank, with known servicing, convenience and the ability to get good fills, makes owning my own tanks worthwhile.

I have only been certified for 2 years.. But I decided to buy my own tank. For me, I like having it to play around in my parents and friends pools without the worry of driving 50 miles to rent one any time I want to play around. When I first joined ppl seemed to be against me buying my own tank but if you are financially okay with purchaing one.. I say go for it. ( I also hated being odd one out on having to rent a tank before going to the lake when all my friends had their own)

I plan on buying my own tanks simply for convenience. To me, it makes no sense to have all but one piece of dive gear... like having a BCD and reg, but no tank, or reg and tank, but no BCD. It will take me a while to save up to buy everything, but I want to dive locally with a buddy independent of a guide and obviously I need my own tank(s) to do so. The maintenance costs aren't a big deal to me because I played paintball for 10 years and the air cylinders we used for that go through the same type of testing so it's not a new thing.

Let me make this simple ...... take the number of dives you have done in the past year and multiply it by $25 ....... if it's over $200 then buy a new tank. There are costs in owning tanks and for some people the expense is not worth it. If you fly or travel then owning tanks doesn't make since. I own 6 tanks and rarely use them anymore. Gone forever are the free bag allowance for sport equipment that the airlines use to offer.

I would say that the above probably should say "if you only fly or travel to dive." Many people do both local and travel diving.

I have to say I went for my own tanks - a number of reasons. Firstly I prefer 15L steels because of my air consumption (which is falling) so I come up with the same air as my G/F who dives 12L steels in the winter and 11L aluminium in the summer when she's not wearing a wetsuit.

Another reason is that my LDS rents only 12l AL tanks filled to 200bar, whereas my Steels get 230bar. I now have 6 tanks which I fill and my local dive club, generally with a range of mixes so that what ever dive is posted at whatever dive is posted at the weekend on a Monday I generally know I can do without stressing about rushing to the club one night to fill. I can also do 2 days back to back on the spur of the moment if I wish. My break even point is 50 dives per tank - so I'm behind the curve on that one - but for me it makes life easier and enables me to dive as much as I want.

The reason for 6 back gas tanks was that quite often we do 2 x 3 dive days back to back, and I couldn't' be bothered to adjust my weighting from steel 15L to 12L Al when I had to hire an extra one or two.

Downsides. Maintenance and storage - if your boat diving then the operator will generally put your tanks on the boat so it's very much a dive and forget scenario - and you can quietly giggle when someone like me is moving 3 - 6 tanks (plus stage tanks) after 1 or two days diving in the heat of the Middle East summer.

Simply put - can you afford them, do you want them? I'm sure the vast majority here have brought gear because it's new and shiny rather than because there is a financial advantage.

It's certainly not a financial advantage to owning tanks here unless you dive a LOT. Yearly Hydro requirements, plus the fact that many shops still PP blend (so add in an O2 clean every year as well) and even justifying a single tank is hard. But the convenience factor is the key - I can get them filled mid-week at lunch, then dive all weekend and whenever I want. If I didn't live in a unit i'd definitely be investing in a compressor too as that would actually pay for itself not only in fills but reduced hydro costs. At $70 per cylinder for test and clean, and you have 10 cylinders...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom