BP/Wing People: How essential is a STA?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Interestingly enough, I have never seen a single tank secured with anything other than a STA. My plates have slots for cam bands, and I am wondering about that. If I were to use a singles wing without my STA, would I have to undo the entire Cam Band assembly to thread it through the slots? If so, it seems like a lot of work compared to using the STA. (I use my plates for doubles at least as much as for singles.)

I like no STA, as the tank (& thus the valve) is closer to me. As for the extra weight, I have 8 lbs. of SS weight plates on my cold water DSS plate.

My understanding is that STAs really shine when the diver uses the same backplate for doubles and singles. It avoids a lot of work.

If you use the same plate for doubles and single tanks, the STA is the way to go.

But if you are just using the setup for singles, putting the straps through the plate works fine as long as the wing you have has some kind of tank stabilizer on it. I know the HOG and DSS wings do, but I'm not sure about other brands.

If you are buying a plate from one manufacturer and a wing from another, you should know that the spacing of the camband slots is not standardized, and you may not be able to mate the wing and plate without an STA.

I don't have much trouble with the wing hanging off the cambands. It does, and it doesn't matter.

. . .

But if you are just using the setup for singles, putting the straps through the plate works fine as long as the wing you have has some kind of tank stabilizer on it. I know the HOG and DSS wings do, but I'm not sure about other brands.

. . .

Oxycheq wings, too, have "wobble stoppers" that stabilize the tank just fine. (They also fit in at least DSS and Fred T plates.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you use the same plate for doubles and single tanks, the STA is the way to go.

That's what I thought--thanks!

My STA is made by Hammerhead, and I bought itsecond hand from someone at a good price. They are two independent pieces, one for each cam band. In retrospect, I would have preferred to purchase one of the kind that are rectangular and go all the way from the top bolt to the bottom. They can have a rectangular weight inserted. I like that design, and wish I had it. (I don't wish it enough to abandon what I have and buy a new one, but, hey, ...)

I have and really like Deep Sea Supply rig. Cam bands go through the wing and around the tank. The wing (30# horseshoe) is held to place by the tank. No STA.

Your wing is setup incorrectly then. The DSS wings use a rubber tab mounted on the wing to secure the wing to the plate.

The Oxycheq 30# wing that I use doesn't require an STA, but I use their mini sta's for extra stability.

I do this same thing. I like the added stability and just use their small independent ones.

Your wing is setup incorrectly then. The DSS wings use a rubber tab mounted on the wing to secure the wing to the plate.

They do come with rubber tabs, but I've found that they pop out of the plate pretty easily. I've replaced the upper tab on both of my DSS rigs with a sex bolt - works like a charm.

But if you are just using the setup for singles, putting the straps through the plate works fine as long as the wing you have has some kind of tank stabilizer on it.

Tobin has mentioned numerous times that the majority of wing punctures are caused by pinch flats. He recommends storing and transporting the wing and plate unassembled, that is a PITA if the cam straps are threaded through the plate and wing. Three solutions are: 1) Buy DSS, they break down easily. 2) Use an STA. 3) Use Scubapro style straps, such as Highland or Storm.

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 05:34 PM ----------

They do come with rubber tabs, but I've found that they pop out of the plate pretty easily. I've replaced the upper tab on both of my DSS rigs with a sex bolt - works like a charm.

Mine hold pretty well but the tabs are new. Remember the tabs are only for positioning, once the tank is attached the wing is not going anywhere.

---------- Post added June 6th, 2013 at 05:39 PM ----------

That's what I thought--thanks!

My STA is made by Hammerhead, and I bought itsecond hand from someone at a good price. They are two independent pieces, one for each cam band. In retrospect, I would have preferred to purchase one of the kind that are rectangular and go all the way from the top bolt to the bottom. They can have a rectangular weight inserted. I like that design, and wish I had it. (I don't wish it enough to abandon what I have and buy a new one, but, hey, ...)

Hammerhead used to make two different kinds of STAs a cold water version and a warm water version. I suspect you have the warm water version. If you want more weight you could purchase a bag that fits between in the V of the plate. Buy that and an old soft weight and pour the lead from the soft weight into the bag.

Back
Top Bottom