Diving Technology: Then, Now and in the Future

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Newtsuit!
newtsuit.jpg

I would love to dive as deep as I want with no decompression.

Nice, carbon allotropes. The toxicity of the nanotubes may provide a problem with breathing air, but being 5 times(?) stronger than steel, you could sure punch up the pressure! :)

that's why i was thinking layers... possibly a steel or aluminum & nanotube laminate. the steel or aluminum providing a safe inner lining with the graphene providing the integrity & strength.
a crazy thought would be to get the same equivalent air as in a std AL80 into something the size of a Spare Air (or maybe a little larger)
then i would actually believe that it would be worth it as a redundant air source.

a crazy thought would be to get the same equivalent air as in a std AL80 into something the size of a Spare Air (or maybe a little larger)...

I like it! If you could eventually get it down to that size, it would open up a host of possibilities...

---------- Post added June 7th, 2013 at 02:22 PM ----------

The Newtsuit!
newtsuit.jpg

I would love to dive as deep as I want with no decompression.

And if you used iluvtheocean's idea of using graphene layers; you could take-off the hook; it would be light enough to walk with... I'll have to ask Phil about this... :)

No one has mentioned the incredible improvments in underwater lighting, I just bought a princeton tech Nav pack that the equiv would have cost 1000's when I started diving in the mid 80's

true... triplecove -- think how much a can light like Hog's Morph 1000. the can itself is about the size of a soda can roughly and puts out 1000 lumens with a very good burn time (do a search for the reviews on the board). Physically it's not much bigger than a princeton tech miniwave and your hand is free using the soft goodman handle. a light like this in the 80's would have been huge & heavy & expensive with a short burn time.

hmmm.... since they've come out with a way to make sheets of the graphene -- coat a submarine with it (including the viewports which are part of the vunerability -- and be able to explore the deep bottom of the ocean finally.

I could see the next great innovation in diving being better communication to/fro divers and the boat. Liquivision did something like this with their new computer, but I think the next great revolution would be a dual-chambered FFM that could let water in to one chamber to prevent fogging due to temperature differences.

Here is my 1st dive light I bought it used in 1989, It worked like a charm but it was about as bright as a candle
2013-06-07 16.22.48.jpg

Improved drysuits, undergarments and drygloves. Multi gas led computer that i can pick my own program. My latest hood is the warmest I've ever owned. I still use my 1993 reg in the pool, and my dad's original xl jets go diving every weekend still. Lights are better, more light less battery.

Jet fins that really are ... imagine propulsion without the need to kick at all ... little scooters for the feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Jet fins that really are ... imagine propulsion without the need to kick at all ... little scooters for the feet ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Hmmmmm little propeller feet I might like that, just click your heals together, point the tips of your toes and go!!!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom