Same computer as buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Identical computers? Nice to have but far from necessary.

For your piece of mind and your husband's too, convince him to let you choose YOUR own equipment. I don't know much about women, but I do know that forcing things on them is bad jou-jou.

As far as cheap computers go, I've seen some Oceanic Veo Nitrox compatible for around $200 on Leisurepro. Don't have a lot of fancy stuff, but then it's also cheap and serviceable. I'm not all hip into computer download and all that jazz so infrared port/Bluetooth/USB/UV are just like Greek to my ears.

For your piece of mind and your husband's too, convince him to let you choose YOUR own equipment. I don't know much about women, but I do know that forcing things on them is bad jou-jou.

Well, I'm researching computers, not him- so in the end, it is going to be my pick :) He'll have to agree, of course.

I like the idea of having the same gear as my wife, however I dive with what I prefer and she dives with what she prefers. When we can find a piece of equipment that we both want, we get two of them.
Think of it as a BC. Would you get the same BC as him?
While it is great to have that familiarity with your spouses gear. You can teach each other how to use the different pieces.

My wife and I dive the same computers (Scubapro Aladin 2g). To me, it is essential to at least dive the same brand, because you will both be on the identical algorithm. As TS&M says, computer brands can vary greatly in their algorithms, and if you have different brands you can end up with very different bottom times, and the results can diverge more and more as you do repetitive dives. If you are on the same algorithm and have good buddy skills, your computers will not show any significant divergence and give you basically identical profiles each time.

I am not a fan of Suunto, as they are extremely conservative and use a Suunto proprietary algorithm which does not match up well to other computer brands. The Scubapros use an algorithm well established across the industry (Buhlman Z8) which gives better results. Oceanic offers a choice of algorithms, either the Buhlman, or one called DSAT, which, to me, is too liberal and takes you to the edge of risk.

The Subgear X10 that someone mentioned is an exellent choice. It is made by the same company that makes the Scubapros, and runs the Buhlman algorithim. It is also a nitrox computer because if you keep diving at all below 60' you will definitely want nitrox certification. It is in your price range and can link to your computer.

I am not knocking the other brands. Oceanic has a very fine reputation for quality and service, and set to the Buhlman algorithm would be a great choice as well.

Just, stick to the same brand.

Whatever brand / model you end up purchasing, make sure to learn how to properly use it.
Some dive stores include in the package a free online class when you purchase a dive computer from them.

Alberto (aka eDiver)

Computers wise IMO having the same one as your husband is a fantastic idea.
My reasoning being that as fairly new divers you don't need to spend that few seconds trying to work out another piece of equipment.
Money where mouth is my wife and I dive with identical sherwood wisdom computers. Our BC's work the same way and our reg sets are identical. Except now hers has pink nail polish in places-don't ask.

Imo... havinf different equipment is good.. as it expose yourself to all the different kinds of gears out there.

There maybe a day that you will dive with someone that has different gears..

Its just a thought. .. nothing bad about having the same gear as well

My dive buddy and I have the same computer (Suunto Vyper Air- I realize its not in the price range) and I see many plus sides to it as stated. We both learn the same computer and can help each other if a question arises. So far if I had to do it all over again I may have gotten a cheaper computer setup. I went with the wireless air and while it is super slick, it is at the Suunto place being repaired as it like to disconnect 20 min into each dive. Now I have a redundant SPG. Simple is sometimes (always) better! :)

Well, after carefully considering, and thinking we should probably both just get Zoops, the Vyper Air was an excellent deal at the store, and my husband really likes gadgets, plus I think he'll likely do more in diving than me, so he "deserves" better equipment (just so we don't have to rebuy everything...) so he got a Vyper Air today. He really wanted air integrated, so I think he was super excited I talked him into going for the sale, rather than getting the Zoop. I'm going to wait to pass my cert dives (just in case) and I'll get the Zoop. If I get to the Carribean and find I'm an absolute fish who can't get enough of this, I'll upgrade in a few years and consider it to be a back-up. Or if he doesn't like the Vyper, he can hand it down, etc. As much as I kind of didn't want to miss the 'deal' it didn't make sense to me to get two of them just yet.

In unrelated news, 7 mm wetsuits suck. The one they said 'fit' was so heavy it felt like it was crushing my spine so I had to fight to stand up straight. Also, I need to grow about 6 inches, because there is a lot of extra leg and arm on these suits. If I do AOW, they told me I'll have to do a trip, because a dry-suit won't fit me, and they don't do it in a lake that has appropriate temperatures for wet suits on deep wrecks.

I have a Vytek, same as Vyper just without the compass, used once to 20ft. My Wife really wanted the Vyper so I bought her the Vyper and put the Vytek back in its box (although she still hasn't used the compass) it is air integrated capable. If you are interested I would let it go Cheap. It should be very similar to the Zoom just bigger looks exactly like the Vyper. PM me if you are interested. Good luck with your shopping and your Cert.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom