DIY Straps for Force Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I will try to attach pics. One other fellow did email me and here is the info I sent. mk

sure. McMaster Carr. (404) 346-7000 is phone number

Part No. #3932 K54, Warehouse location 2-114-03 03-51

description: long type 302 SS extension spring 11" length, 1/2 inch OD,. .062 " wire diameter.
unit price: 4.99

This is the info from the invoice. I bought enough to do 10 pr. fins. I have done my own, started on my son's but only have one of his 2 fins as the other fin is in Seattle.

For the strap, You bend down 1 1/2 round turns of spring and use a small brass grommet . Grommet kits are available at any hardware store. You cannot use the large grommet. You put the grommet on and use the hammer as usual to affix the grommet. Don't try to really smash the grommet too flat as I have found you can break the spring in the grommet and have to cut the grommet off and have to start with 2 new loops. This may not be too much of a problem , but if you lose too much spring it can get too tight on your foot.

I have placed vinyl hose on the spring as recommendedby others, but this makes it too stiff over the achilles tendon, and I am thinking of cutting the vinyl tube off as it doesn't help at all and increases likelihood for discomfort . The spring seems to be comfy on its own without need for a plastic cover.

Once you have affixed one side, and screwed it to the fin,. put the fin on your foot with the bootie and measure how much of the spring you'll need to keep. Using a strong wire cutter, you snip off the extra spring amount, and bend down the last 1 1/2 or 2 coil segments so you can attach the grommet. Q.E.D.

For other fins (not force fins,), I found some neat SS hurricane shutter mounting hardware thet had a large flanged flat 1/4 inch bolt in SS and Brass inserts for the boards to go over windows. These can be mounted through rubber of any standard fin with a drilled hole and will mount the springs and look spiffy.

>From: "chinthiam@equus-design.com" <chinthiam@equus-design.com>
>Reply-To: chinthiam@equus-design.com
>To: mkinz@hotmail.com
>Subject: RE: fin straps
>Date: Wed, 7 Jun 2006 11:21:36 -0400
>
>hi mk, thanx for the pixs, your SS spring straps looks really cool! it's
>exactly what I had in mind!
>
>Btw, do you think you can give me the part number of the spring that you
>ordered from the website that you posted?
>i went in there, but was really confused as to which type of spring to
>get...

pics are attached of the stainless steel spring strap I made for the Force fin.

Can you post a pic of the window mounting hardware you mentioned? I'm using the shackle method currently, but always curious about alternatives.

They have a limit and I can't post more pics now and I don't know how to "unpost" older pics. private message me and I'll let you know how ato get pics.mk

They have a limit and I can't post more pics now and I don't know how to "unpost" older pics. private message me and I'll let you know how ato get pics.mk
Apparently the photos are no longer attached to this thread. Can you re-post them, or PM them to me? I have a FF strap replacement that I need to do asap, and you solution looks like the very thing. I would also be interested to know whether you have made any further refinements since 2006. Thanks. -lt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom