small leak on my auto drain

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

landonnin1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hello everyone
I installed some solenoid valves with a timer on my compressor for auto drains
They are set up to open at 10mins for 10 secs.
The solenoids are rate for 5000 psi but they but they are leaking very small amout of air at all time, I
Take them a part to check if something might be stuck in the seats but I found nothing.

My question is how bad is this for the compressor to run like this till I get new ones in ( about 2weeks) the leak is light as I can stop the air from coming out with my finger.

Thank you
Matt

Are these 2-way soleniods? What media are they designed for, liquid, gas or both? What brand are they?

Are these 2-way soleniods? What media are they designed for, liquid, gas or both? What brand are they?

They are Parker 2-way solenoids, they are designed for both liquid and gas

Hello everyone
I installed some solenoid valves with a timer on my compressor for auto drains
They are set up to open at 10mins for 10 secs.
The solenoids are rate for 5000 psi but they but they are leaking very small amout of air at all time, I
Take them a part to check if something might be stuck in the seats but I found nothing.

My question is how bad is this for the compressor to run like this till I get new ones in ( about 2weeks) the leak is light as I can stop the air from coming out with my finger.

Thank you
Matt

You can't stop the air from coming out with your finger for long!

They are Parker 2-way solenoids, they are designed for both liquid and gas

I'm guessing that your compressor is oil lubricated. Does Parker allow oil through these valves? If so, then I think you have some defective valves. Hopefully they are still under warranty.

BRT- no I can't stop it for long as the pressure start to build up aster about 1-2mins where it start to blow by my finger,

Yes they can handle the oil and yes they are under warranty but they are 2weeks out,
I was just wondering if I should switch back to my manual drains or just jun the compressor like it is till I get the new ones in, I am trying to fill 7 3600psi banks they are at 2500psi now but I do not want to hurt to put extra work on the conpressor

Thanks everyone for responding
Matt

BRT- no I can't stop it for long as the pressure start to build up aster about 1-2mins where it start to blow by my finger,

Yes they can handle the oil and yes they are under warranty but they are 2weeks out,
I was just wondering if I should switch back to my manual drains or just jun the compressor like it is till I get the new ones in, I am trying to fill 7 3600psi banks they are at 2500psi now but I do not want to hurt to put extra work on the conpressor

Thanks everyone for responding
Matt

I replaced some .035 wall, 1/4" 316 SS tubing with .049 wall a year or so ago at an AFB fire station. The idiot I work for supplied me with Parker SS tube unions instead of the Swaglok I requested. When I pressurized the new tubing for the first time, the Parker fittings started to fail, one after another. I replaced them with Swaglok and no more problem. Just because something is brand new, doesn't mean it can't be defective. You said you were replacing with new. I hope from a different manufacturer.

You haven't stated what brand or size compressor you have. Hopefully it is designed for the duty of charging 7 storage bottles. That to me would be of greater concern than a little weepage from your drain system.

I replaced some .035 wall, 1/4" 316 SS tubing with .049 wall a year or so ago at an AFB fire station. The idiot I work for supplied me with Parker SS tube unions instead of the Swaglok I requested. When I pressurized the new tubing for the first time, the Parker fittings started to fail, one after another. I replaced them with Swaglok and no more problem. Just because something is brand new, doesn't mean it can't be defective. You said you were replacing with new. I hope from a different manufacturer.

You haven't stated what brand or size compressor you have. Hopefully it is designed for the duty of charging 7 storage bottles. That to me would be of greater concern than a little weepage from your drain system.

I have a compairmako 5404, I am going to try the parker solenoids again as they are under warranty, if it doesn't work out I will switch to something else

Thank you for your help
Matt

I have a compairmako 5404, I am going to try the parker solenoids again as they are under warranty, if it doesn't work out I will switch to something else

Thank you for your help
Matt

Great, you are filling 7 storage bottles with a 5404. That block isn't designed for that usage! Even a 5405, like a Bauer Mariner isn't designed for that job. Three stage machines in the 8 cfm range, at most, should be limited to a max of two storage bottles.

Great, you are filling 7 storage bottles with a 5404. That block isn't designed for that usage! Even a 5405, like a Bauer Mariner isn't designed for that job. Three stage machines in the 8 cfm range, at most, should be limited to a max of two storage bottles.

Sorry I was just asking if it would be bad to run the compressor with leaking drains, I didn't realize I had to explain my complete set up and each step I was doing with it

But I did say I was filling 7 3600 psi banks and they were at 2500 psi,and I did not say that I was filling one at a time as recommended to me by mako when I called them before I bought the compressor and for that I am sorry to leave that detail out. I didn't think it had much to add to the fact I wanted to know what the people who might know better then me if it was ok to run the compressor with leaking drains

again thank you for your input
Matt

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom