Wasp - Brightest Underwater Light?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have been shooting video with a total of 30000 lumens. I had a small GoPro2 attached on top of my main camera. With sufficient light the GoPro produces very good video. However, do not expect to illuminate vast spaces without a large number of minimum 10000 lumen lamps each. My next experiments will be with a total of 70-100000 lumens.

I have been shooting video with a total of 30000 lumens. I had a small GoPro2 attached on top of my main camera. With sufficient light the GoPro produces very good video. However, do not expect to illuminate vast spaces without a large number of minimum 10000 lumen lamps each. My next experiments will be with a total of 70-100000 lumens.

What kind of lights are you using ? Do you have any video footage we can see ?

With GoPROs and other POV cams you really do not need a huge light. I recently posted a review on here a review of the small Nocturnal Lights 700i. I was incredulous and doubting when I received them but after a trip to the Philippines and using them with the GoPROs, I was really surprised at how well they performed. You might want to check out the article.
Steve

One of the best features of the WASP is that the light output is totally variable from 10% to 100% - so it can be adjust to give you the amount of light you need for pictures/videos and not scare the marine life. You can use it for fill light or to totally light up the reef. :D

Downside is that it is bulky and heavy and somewhat difficult to get it balanced with the camera rig. :(

What kind of lights are you using ?
I currently use a Salvo 200W HMI. This is an obsolete product, but, gives excellent light, 26000 lumens alone. Plus a number of smaller HID and LED lights.

I have already placed a purchase order for four 8000 lumen lamps. Since this is a new model that is not yet publicly available, I'll postpone announcing the brand and model until later. But, if you return to see my vimeo page later this summer, you'll see sample footage here: Richard Eller on Vimeo

Do you have any video footage we can see ?
Currently I do not have online any GoPro videos with the powerful lamps. However, I intend to shoot some comparison videos with multiple cameras, including GoPro during this summer.

The samples below were shot with the 200W HMI lamp and a Sony MC50E video camera:
[video=vimeo;49537393]http://vimeo.com/49537393[/video]
[video=vimeo;46189946]http://vimeo.com/46189946[/video]

Beautiful video. You have a great eye for lighting, it's not just about lumens, it's lighting a scene from different angles (and having a lightman who does that).

Back
Top Bottom