Cold water diving is a PITA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I definitely lean to the wrist seal with rings for gloves. As someone else said, post a photo of the rings and maybe someone can help. According to this thread, you CAN use Si-tech (and probably other) ring systems with DUI Zip seals http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/dui/300363-dui-zipseals-compatible-si-tech-rings.html

So here is a photo of the rings and her wrist seals. The DUI guy said it was an older version of the wrist ring and we should get it replaced.

Attachments

• Emily's Wrist seal.JPG
    Emily's Wrist seal.JPG
    25.2 KB · Views: 135
  • Outside view.JPG
    Outside view.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 136
Pretty sure they're Viking classic rings. They'd work fine for dry gloves if you could find the mating rings. There should be an o ring in the groove near the end. They're not as secure a coupling as newer designs, such as the Sitech or the newer Viking rings which I have. Viking Bayonet Dry Glove Ring Kits

That glove system looks like a COCVI/DC Systems, and they SUCK!

For Emily I would recommend the regular SI Tech system allowing changeable wrist seals. They would be the same as Adeline has on her suit. The gloves go on easy and I can get you an updated o-ring to make donning easier.

Si Tech Permanent Wrist Rings for Replaceable Seals | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
Si Tech Quick Clamp Dry Glove System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

A small set of gloves with liners can come from somewhere like Gotomarine.com. Buy two pair for a spare set.

Now if you are going to stick with glued on wrist seals, I would recommend the Viking System.

FWIW drysuit seal repairs are pretty easy to do. There is also no need to send the suit to DUI and pay DUI prices. Both Dive Right In and Steve Gamble have an excellent reputation for top notch work.

That glove system looks like a COCVI/DC Systems, and they SUCK!

For Emily I would recommend the regular SI Tech system allowing changeable wrist seals. They would be the same as Adeline has on her suit. The gloves go on easy and I can get you an updated o-ring to make donning easier.

Si Tech Permanent Wrist Rings for Replaceable Seals | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL
Si Tech Quick Clamp Dry Glove System | Dive Right In Scuba - Plainfield, IL

A small set of gloves with liners can come from somewhere like Gotomarine.com. Buy two pair for a spare set.

Now if you are going to stick with glued on wrist seals, I would recommend the Viking System.

FWIW drysuit seal repairs are pretty easy to do. There is also no need to send the suit to DUI and pay DUI prices. Both Dive Right In and Steve Gamble have an excellent reputation for top notch work.

Thanks Peter and Groundhog. So is the idea that, it would be good to do this a) if Emily wants dry gloves and b) although onsite Dryseal repairs are easy to do, a ring system would be easier still. No wait, maybe I am confused -- if we went to a SITECh system, she would have to wear wetsuit gloves?

BTW we definitely DO have to change her neck seal. The existing seal is too loose. We tried the duct tape system today and it wasn't enough. Should I take a pic of that, too?

If you go to the Sitech system, you have two choices. You can do the standard, round rings, in which case you have a choice of the Quick Glove or Glove Lock glove systems. Or you can go with the oval, Antares rings, about which I know very little.

I hated the Quick Glove rings when I first got them, but I have come to terms with them. They are very easy to put in place, and fairly easy to remove if you keep the o-rings well lubricated. I had a lot of problems with the o-ring getting pinched and leaking when I first got them. People told me to replace the o-ring, and one generous SBer even sent me the smaller ones, but in the meantime, I mastered the technique, so I haven't ended up swapping them out.

Or you can go with the oval, Antares rings, about which I know very little.

NO!!! Unfortunately I do have experience with the Antares and wished I had the regular Si-Tech system.

Thanks Peter and Groundhog. So is the idea that, it would be good to do this a) if Emily wants dry gloves and b) although onsite Dryseal repairs are easy to do, a ring system would be easier still. No wait, maybe I am confused -- if we went to a SITECh system, she would have to wear wetsuit gloves?

BTW we definitely DO have to change her neck seal. The existing seal is too loose. We tried the duct tape system today and it wasn't enough. Should I take a pic of that, too?

Who ever said diving was simple. :D The 2 Si-tech systems are compatible. The permanent wrist rings are similar to the DUI set up, enabling you to change wrist seals. Not that common to tear a wrist seal, especially if you don't trim them. Then they have the Quick clamp system for dry gloves (and I'll give it 2 thumbs up). Does take some practice, just like everything else.
AND the big part of the question, YES, you can use both systems together. One the permanent seal rings are on the suit, the quick clamp glove rings mount on the seal.
In my experience, the hardest part is always installing the rings onto the gloves (you only do this once unless you tear and have to replace a glove. Being ME, I have a second set of the glove side rings and carry spares, already on the rings.

Wonderful Diving at Pt. Lobos!

We had two wonderful dives yesterday at Pt. Lobos! Now I know why people do this! On top of that, we met a great new dive buddy, Kim.

Kim had been reading this blog and agreed to go with us. Emily used her new / used drysuit and I rented a White’s Fusion. We got kitted up, mostly without incident (repetition, and the same equipment, makes it much easier). Kim suggested a great place for our lights, clipped to the right chest D-rig. This worked perfectly! Easy access to the light, and no hassle. We knew Emily’s neck seal would leak so we duct-taped her neck.

Water was calm and viz was terrible at the boat ramp. We swam out a hundred yards or so and descended. Viz was immediately better, and we followed Kim. Our newly-repaired regs worked great – DRIS did a good job. It was a lovely dive, no buoyancy or weight issues, no legs floating up, no rolling. Nice views of fish and other bottom critters. Emily got blown off a little bit due to the surge (she said later this is when her motion sickness started). I got to half a tank and we turned around but we could not get back to our starting point by the time I was down to 800, so we surfaced very slowly in a more or less clear spot, and made our way back across the kelp to the channel. Somehow I was nearly out of air at this point. Emily started really getting motion sick from the swells and threw up a little bit. I could tell she was really anxious. Some of this came about because there was some anxiety due to things at home (she takes care of her mother, 80, and it’s very trying). These issues are actually continuing today. On the way back we saw a sea otter and a pup floating on the kelp. They floated within 10 feet of us for much of the trip back. Kim towed Emily back for much of the way – that really calmed her down. Great dive, except for Emily’s motion-sickness.

Emily’s neck seal leaked, and she was tired from being sick, so she wasn't up for a second dive. Kim and I went, it was beautiful. Very relaxing float / swim out to the channel, easy descent, great viz – maybe 40 feet? We did a relaxing tour out towards the wall, and we reached the hole-in-the-wall. What a great view of the wall! I enjoyed seeing fish sitting calmly in the crevices in the wall, and the colors were amazing. Turned around a half a tank (me) and came back up almost exactly where we had descended. The surface swim back was relaxing, floating in the gentle swell and slowly kicking our way back. At times I felt like I was in Hawaii! Lovely dive. I had fun! (Almost for the first time in cold water). Finally, I can see what all the fuss is about!

From the time we did the first crappy dive which started this blog, it took us four dives, three pool sessions, and nearly $4,000 to get situated (this does not include rental and diving fees). And I still need a drysuit. And there was a drysuit course and six “meh” dives which preceded all this. Yikes, this is an expensive hobby! But now that we have our gear, per-dive costs are fairly low.

I really hope Emily can get comfortable with cold-water diving. I hate it when I think this, but the second dive with just Kim and I was much more relaxing than the dives with Emily. I wonder how folks deal with the whole issue of “I want to dive much more than my partner”. To date, she has been wonderful about taking on the hobby, though clearly I am more passionate about it than she is.

We really appreciated Kim’s approach to everything, which was “relax, and enjoy the day”. We needed to hear that! And we need to practice it more. Thanks, Kim! Hope to dive with you Wednesday!!

- Bill

Just two observations from the OPs comments...

1. I got news for you... that was cool water, not cold. Come to the Great Lakes in April, and when you get back to California, you'll be diving it in board shorts and a rash guard. Last weekend, I commented to a friend after our dive at "how nicely the water was warming up." It had gone from 38F to 41F. Balmy. So quit your whining... :wink:

2. Most of your problems had nothing to do with the water temp. They had to do with the gear you needed. Overcoming that is easy... a little practice, making sure you get stuff that fits properly, starting with wings for a drysuit... jackets suck!

Now in fairness, I've never been diving in CA, but I do get out to our (Canada's) west coast often enough and personally, I think it's some of the most amazing diving anywhere.

So try again... get some help from someone more experienced in those conditions perhaps... You won't regret it.

Oh ya, shore diving in a drysuit etc also sucks. Spring for a charter.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom