Whats the deal with fins these days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As still a new diver I want 2 things in my fin

1) Fit properly (easier said than done with a size 15 foot)
2) As you mentioned, fin control. My ultimate goal is to be able to just glide about the waves and not stir stuff up.

If you don't want to stir stuff up then you need a different kick, you can wear paddle fins and still stir up the bottom. You can do different kicks in Sea Wings. BTW, the ocean is not like a lake, the visibility clears very quickly on a reef.

---------- Post added June 15th, 2013 at 11:27 AM ----------

1. Dan, I don't see a fin of that description in Force Fins's website. They would need to give me super human capability because they are way dorky looking. :)

The Master Frogs are on sale at Leisure Pro for $75 with free shipping. It is a good deal if you want fins with a blade about 30" long.

1. Dan, I don't see a fin of that description in Force Fins's website. They would need to give me super human capability because they are way dorky looking. :)
What if you could reverse kick 1.5 times the speed that Errol can ???? :)

As still a new diver I want 2 things in my fin

1) Fit properly (easier said than done with a size 15 foot)
2) As you mentioned, fin control. My ultimate goal is to be able to just glide about the waves and not stir stuff up.

If those are your criteria, then you might want to consider a pair of our freedive fins. We offer a large footpocket that WILL fit you comfortably, but most people will want to wear a 3 mm neoprene sock under the fins.

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/mcff.htm

MCFF-2.jpg

These fins are priced lower than any comparable freedive fins, because we sell direct with no retail stores. Don't think that they are low quality simply because they cost less than $90.00. If your budget is considerably higher, you might want to consider our fiberglass blades. They are more expensive, but do provide an improved snap when kicking.

Either one of these fins will allow you to cruise along at a steady pace with a very low exertion level. You will have excellent control with a large freedive fin, but they are not going to work well for swimming backwards.

Also, if you desire, you can buy the inexpensive fins now and then up grade to the fiberglass blades at some time later. you can install the new blades yourself in about 5 minutes..

If these fins do not fit comfortably or meet your expectations (after trying them in a pool) we will accept the return of undamaged fins. We really don't think that will be necessary, but we will refund your entire purchase cost if they don't work out.

You may want to order these socks as well:

MYFS-2.jpg

If those are your criteria, then you might want to consider a pair of our freedive fins. We offer a large footpocket that WILL fit you comfortably, but most people will want to wear a 3 mm neoprene sock under the fins.

MAKO Competition Freediver Fins

View attachment 157294

These fins are priced lower than any comparable freedive fins, because we sell direct with no retail stores. Don't think that they are low quality simply because they cost less than $90.00. If your budget is considerably higher, you might want to consider our fiberglass blades. They are more expensive, but do provide an improved snap when kicking.

Either one of these fins will allow you to cruise along at a steady pace with a very low exertion level. You will have excellent control with a large freedive fin, but they are not going to work well for swimming backwards.

Also, if you desire, you can buy the inexpensive fins now and then up grade to the fiberglass blades at some time later. you can install the new blades yourself in about 5 minutes..

If these fins do not fit comfortably or meet your expectations (after trying them in a pool) we will accept the return of undamaged fins. We really don't think that will be necessary, but we will refund your entire purchase cost if they don't work out.

You may want to order these socks as well:

MYFS-2.jpg

I would like to add that the Mako fins are excellent fins, and at a price that will really blow away the traditional scuba fin and it's mis-directed short length design.

When you want long bottom times, and slow effortless cruising.....or just really long bottom times...freediving fins are so efficient, they are a far better OPTION much of the time than getting BIGGER Tanks.

If I could perform the back kick properly at all, I would be a convert. Let me know when you will be at the bridge when I could demo. Thanks!

Let us know how the demo goes.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I just ordered some HOG tech 2s from Jim. Ill post my reviews when I get some dives on them.

Here's my thought on the gimmick thing. I've tried lots of the so called "gimmick" fins, the slingshots, the hotsots, that kind of thing. Here's what I've found: They Work. Are they as good as companies hype them up to be? Usually not. But honestly what did you expect? Of course a companies ganna over hype their product, they after all have a vested interest in selling said product. But i can say without a doubt that no "gimmick" fin doesn't work as a fin. a companies not going to sell a fin that doesn't work. Maybe they don't make you swim as fast a aqua-man, but they still work. However, once in a while you come across a "gimmick" fin that actually lives up to the hype. For me that fin is the Aquabionic Warp1s. Not everybody likes them, but for me at least they do everything they claim to do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom