Discover Scuba-Some questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Greentree5

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello everyone, I've just posted a thread in the introductions area to introduce myself (obviously).

I have never been diving, but only this year I have decided I'd like to have a try. I'm heading out to Paphos, Cyprus in early July and will be doing a PADI Discover Scuba Diving session in Coral Bay. I have a few questions if you wouldn't mind helping me.

1) Could anyone suggest the best dive centre in Coral Bay for me please? I've looked at Marine Divers and they seem to be the best but if anyone has any experience with any of them, advice would be much appreciated.

2) How long should I expect the session to last? I mean the whole thing, not just the dive.

3) What should I expect for the session?

4) Will I need to take anything with me?

Thanks in advance!

Harry.

If you are going to Paphos Cyprus I would recommend Cydive (www.cydive.com) Photos is the operator there who would be glad to help you out. (Tell Rick from The Canadian Army sent you, Dec 2011)

You can expect about 2-3 hours of fun. (Safety Discussion, in-water work at the local "Roman Wall" and then some diving)
It would be good to contact them first and get what they would like you to have. As for equipment they will provide everything. You just need to bring yourself. It would be a good idea to have them fax /e-mail you a copy of the paperwork (medical form, participation forms etc)
Good Luck

Hi Harry Welcome to SB
i cant help you out with a dive centre just make sure that its a current PADI centre
the DSD course is made up in 3 sections usually
1 therory section this covers the VERY basic do's & dont's of scuba usually 15-20 mins
2 pool/water shallow enough to stand in going over the basics skills regulator removal replacement and taking an alternative regulator of someone
clearing a mask and swimming around just to relax you its easy and fun! may be 60 mins ish all depends how things go
3you may go out and dive with a certified instructor DM to a max of 40ft
looking at the critters a dive can last 40 mins -60 mins
things to take suntan loation sunglasses towel swim suit and a tip if you enjoy yourself
thy may do this all in one day or a morning then out for a dive afternoon or over two days
just becarefull it gets adictive!!!! have fun and enjoy!

(This post is in reply to GDI)

Thanks very much, I'll have a look. Only problem is that we're staying in Coral Bay and won't have a hire car so, except from the bus, transport would be limited. I would really prefer to use a more local centre to Coral Bay. I'll still check them out though, the bus ride may be worth the better service.

Thanks again, Harry.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 08:13 PM ----------

Hi Harry Welcome to SB
i cant help you out with a dive centre just make sure that its a current PADI centre
the DSD course is made up in 3 sections usually
1 therory section this covers the VERY basic do's & dont's of scuba usually 15-20 mins
2 pool/water shallow enough to stand in going over the basics skills regulator removal replacement and taking an alternative regulator of someone
clearing a mask and swimming around just to relax you its easy and fun! may be 60 mins ish all depends how things go
3you may go out and dive with a certified instructor DM to a max of 40ft
looking at the critters a dive can last 40 mins -60 mins
things to take suntan loation sunglasses towel swim suit and a tip if you enjoy yourself
thy may do this all in one day or a morning then out for a dive afternoon or over two days
just becarefull it gets adictive!!!! have fun and enjoy!

Thanks for all the info, I really appreciate it. I have heard from many people that it becomes addictive, I'll try not to let it get to me!

Thanks again, Harry.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 08:14 PM ----------

We are ALL local.

I'm local to Wilmington, DE USA. Don't overlook 'local diving' is my message.

Best regards,
Dennis
Sorry, I'm a tad confused!

Harry.

Hi

I'm in Cyprus next week so have been looking at dive centres. Olympian Divers come very highly recommended from what I've read. 5 star PADI centre and collect from your hotel. Don't know how local they are to where you are staying but may be worth a look.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 10:14 PM ----------

Scratch that. Just looked at where Paphos is and it is right over the other side of the island. Try Cydive Cyprus scuba diving center - Cyprus diving with the longest established dive school in Paphos.. Again a 5 star PADI centre. Based in Paphos and will collect from your hotel

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 10:18 PM ----------

Sorry, didn't see Cydive had already been suggested.

Hi

I'm in Cyprus next week so have been looking at dive centres. Olympian Divers come very highly recommended from what I've read. 5 star PADI centre and collect from your hotel. Don't know how local they are to where you are staying but may be worth a look.

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 10:14 PM ----------

Scratch that. Just looked at where Paphos is and it is right over the other side of the island. Try Cydive Cyprus scuba diving center - Cyprus diving with the longest established dive school in Paphos.. Again a 5 star PADI centre. Based in Paphos and will collect from your hotel

Hi, thanks for the info. They seem to be quite popular, I'll have a gander.

Harry.

...//... Sorry, I'm a tad confused!

Harry.

Many divers will only dive on vacation in warm clear waters.

'Local Diving' consists of getting to know your local divers, dive sites, and dive operations (wherever you are). It is an ongoing social thing even if solo...

---------- Post added June 16th, 2013 at 05:22 PM ----------

Worked at the same company as this local diver. Best example that I can come up with: Welcome - I'm having a midlife crisis...........

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom