Nikon D600 vs Olympus OMD?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sully3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
So these are the two cameras i've narrowed it down to (thought about the d7100 also) but im having trouble deciding between the two. Ignoring size i'd like to hear first hand some arguments for either side to help me decide:D i like that the OMD can do great CFWA and WAM due to the close focusing ability of the panasonic 8mm fisheye and the super tiny dome ports that are used with it and i like that its NOT full frame. However, video i've seen from it hasn't been great and idk how well 16mp hold up with big prints. Also, how well does the OMD do with subjects like sharks, rays, etc.
The d600 on the other hand i like because it IS full frame, the 24mp is not overload, its pretty spot on i think, from what i've read the autofocus appears to be faster than the omd which is nice. But idk how well a lens like the sigma 15mm will do with CFWA or WAM on a full frame camera. (alternative suggestions to that lens are welcome)
Also, would the port used for the canon 100mmIS L be able to be used with the Nikon 105mm VR?
thanks!
Matt

There is no doubt you will get better Dynamic Range and Low Light performance from the D600. The images straight from the camera are beautiful. As you mentioned you have a more megapixels to work with when cropping or doing large prints (over 18x24). So you can't go wrong with a D600. If you have around $6000 in the budget you can cover several lenses with a dome port and flat port.

I used to shoot the Nikon D7000 and really liked it. Now I shoot the OMD and really enjoying it. For my purposes it is a great camera. The results are as good as anything I had with the D7000. So it boils down to what are you really doing with your photos? If you pit the OMD against the D600 it will be the photographer that will be the deciding factor. In general the OMD will be about +30% smaller and less expensive.

Tough call but can't go wrong with either.

It depends on your needs and budget. The D600 delivers definitely better IQ, although I am skeptical if the video quality is really better. What do you have now?

It depends on your needs and budget. The D600 delivers definitely better IQ, although I am skeptical if the video quality is really better. What do you have now?
HAD a canon 7D till i flooded it on the very last dive of the trip. Ive already decided to not get the d600 because of all the issues of the oil and dust covering the sensor that ive read about and because the video (which i dont take a ton of) capabilities aren't very good. its going to be a while till i go diving again so i have time to see what else comes out and what drops in price :)

Hi Matt.

Honestly it comes down to a few factors. Answer these questions and I give my suggestion but remember I am biased towards DSLR.

What kind of underwater shooting to you mostly do or can see yourself doing? Mostly Macro or mostly wide angle etc etc?
How much money you want to spend on the whole setup (camera, housing, ports, extensions, lens etc etc)?
What do you see you be shooting in the next 10 years (do you think you might require full frame or large MP in the future?)
What would you like to shoot on the land? Doesw the camera of choice need to be able to do both very well?
Which setup has the best lenses and the most range for your purposes??

Answer those and go from there,

Regards Mark

At first, I'd check, what is the IQ I am satisfied with. In uw photography, high iso doesn't bring much - if there isn't enough light, you use strobes (and by defintion, u use strobes...). Therefore, the only point of having a FF DSLR is bigger print size. Dynamic range of the modern small sensors, especially that of the OMD is enough for anything. If you are satisfied with the performace of a 7D and dont desire more, the OMD will perfectly fit your needs.

At second, I'd look for a system with good lens and uw housing support. Here, eg. the Nex fails the first, though there are good housings available.

Speaking of video quality, you might consider the panasonic gh3, although it is a bit pricey being a m4/3 cam.

Hi Matt.

Honestly it comes down to a few factors. Answer these questions and I give my suggestion but remember I am biased towards DSLR.

What kind of underwater shooting to you mostly do or can see yourself doing? Mostly Macro or mostly wide angle etc etc?
How much money you want to spend on the whole setup (camera, housing, ports, extensions, lens etc etc)?
What do you see you be shooting in the next 10 years (do you think you might require full frame or large MP in the future?)
What would you like to shoot on the land? Doesw the camera of choice need to be able to do both very well?
Which setup has the best lenses and the most range for your purposes??

Answer those and go from there,

Regards Mark

Back
Top Bottom