DIR for open water certification?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

^this plus I feel that the rec 1 course would be a little pricy for somebody who may not end up liking it.

Good call ... as an instructor I often run into situations where someone buys a class for their GF/spouse without first determining whether or not said recipient actually wants it. Most times it works out ... sometimes it just becomes an expensive mistake.

Around here we have what amounts to a "try DIR" Wednesday evening group that anyone can join ... I think it's a valuable idea, since DIR really isn't going to appeal to everyone, and this way they get to "test the water" before making a significant investment ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Thanks for the offer Chrpai, we'll have to get together some time.

ElGaucho, thanks for the advice. As I make the change over to DIR/HOG type of diving, I'm trying to introduce my wife to the concept as well, although I know she's already got a million questions, and I'm sure DIR/non DIR is the last thing on her mind. Even if she doesn't progress pass OW/AOW diving, it will be nice to have the same style when we're in the water together. Being in the military for the last 10 year, this style makes MUCH more sense than how I was originally taught.

Cyprian, thanks for assisting with the Primer info. I was just in DFW last weekend. I'm actually through there quite often, as my reserve unit is in northern OK. I'll have to make some time to come visit/dive with you guys.
I was stationed at Ft.Sill, Lawton, OK for 5 years and di residency there, too! I also went to medical school on OK, up in Tulsa at OSU Osteopathic College. I was in the Army on a Medical Scholarship.
Small World! I was certified at Fort Sam Houston while doing a rotation as a medical student. Duggan Diving certified me and years later, after I divorced, I took a trip to Africa with them. I booked another trip with them to Galapegos, ended up getting married and got another spot for my husband, we took our honeymoon with them in Galapegos, about 18 years after I was certified with them! Of course, I'm not living down there in San Antonio, I just booked the trip online because I get their newsletters.
I think you and your wife will love the BP/wing system. For me, it was much easier to establish my trim after having a difficult time ever getting a jacket to fit my small frame. I've always had problems with the tank pulling me around in the water and once I switched to a backplate it was no longer an issue, I was stable and comfortable! Hopefully, her instructor will be okay teaching her with it.

Thanks tracydr. I'm always amazed how many military people I come across, and in some cases served with at the same location.

I just got my bp/w in yesterday, and I'm very anxious to try it out. I'm sure I'll love it the first time in. As soon as my wife feels she's ready I'll let her try it as well. If she likes it, we'll go straight to ordering her a bp/w also, instead of paying extra for a jacket style.

I'm also in San Antonio and make it to Austin frequently. You can borrow my BP/W sometime.

Wish I was. Working an upgrade for a customer right now then off to the rodeo tonight. Church and probably camping at inks tomorrow

Edit, thanks for the offer amascuba.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom