Whohoo! Now a Certified Open Water Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
After passing the pool portion once, having to wait about a year after becoming pregnant with my daughter, passing the pool portion again, having mask clearing fears, starting the open water dives but having to abort due to equalizing problems . . . . I just finished by open water dives today in Monterey!

On a sadder note, I was in the water and my instructor and I watched the missing diver being pulled to shore. My condolences to his family and what a sober reminder to always remember the training and not get complacent!

Congratulations for completing your OW sessions and getting certified. Welcome to the fold of people who never quite stop smiling.

Sorry to hear about the missing diver as well.

Congratulations, now you can explore a whole new world.

Congratulations on preservering, to certification especially as a new parent. That redundant training will serve you well. If you have not come to the conclusion yet I assure it has been worth the effort. Now keep that gear damp!

Pete

congratulations !!! glad you stuck it out and worked through your issues to get it done.

it will serve you well to remember the unfortunate situation you witnessed. diving is a fun, safe sport overall. but things can go wrong. never put yourself in a situation that you do not have the training, gear, and skills necessary to complete a dive safely if something does go wrong.

I'm glad the body recovery didn't put you off the idea of diving. This sport, if approached with respect, is actually amazingly safe. (It's surprisingly safe even when NOT approached with respect!)

You have the good fortune of being a diver in an area with some of the most amazing, awe-inspiring diving I've found on the planet. No, it's not at the Breakwater -- but keep practicing and honing your skills until you can do some boat dives, or some long swims at Lobos, and you will find the door open to places that will delight and inspire you.

Congrats, and as it has been said, remember what you saw, and always dive as safe as you can and within your limits. It's a fantastic experience, and will give you many, MANY hours of enjoyment in the future!

First condolences to the family of the missing diver...it is never easy to lose a family member...a family is in loss and the diving community is in loss..

Secondly congrats on completing your OW dives...dive often, and dive safe...never, never be afraid to call a dive because you aren't ready, it exceeds your skills or it just doesn't "feel" right...If you dive often and safely you will have years of fun, and then can bring your little one into the most awesome sport...

A good and a not so good day all in one day. That had to be tough to witness but it sounds like you did okay. It is good to hear that you kept up with your desire to dive. Good luck on your future diving adventures.

Back
Top Bottom