Advise regarding a move from G11 to a dSLR

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Vigfus

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hi,

I've been doing UW photo for a couple of years and used my last camera, Canon G11, since 2009 and added external equipment over time (2 Inon UCL-165 M67 macro lenses and Inon S-2000 in 2010 and Sea & sea YS-D1 in 2012). Now I won a Canon EOS 650D in a photo contest and was thinking it might be time to move to a dSLR and I'm looking for some input.

I've talked macro lenses with my friends who own D800s and they recommended [FONT=&amp]Nikon AF-S VR 105/2,8G IF-ED Micro-Nikkor or [/FONT][FONT=&amp]Canon MPE65/2,8 1-5x[/FONT]. Both of them are however non-diving friends so I'm not sure how well the lenses fare under water. I have no preference when it comes to brand. I can always sell the housing I won and buy another. With the UW housing itself being quite expensive I'm thinking it might be better to go for a better housing from the start if I'm going to a dSLR.

Since I only do macro photography I'm only looking for a housing, 1 macro lens, UW housing and a port for the lens. My budget is roughly USD5000 / EUR4000. How would you make a setup with that kind of budget, the fact that I only take still shots, and what pros and cons would you say the setup will give me?

Best Regards,
Vigfus

For macro I would go the tamron 60 plus the tamron 1.4 teleconverter route. The lens is great and with the tele you get 140% magnification. For housings, I use Nauticam but most others will fit in your budget. The other macro lens that is interesting is the Canon 100 with IS but that lens is more difficult to learn with (has the same magnification as the 60).
Get a good focus light. Forget the canon 65 it is completely useless underwater (unless you are into big tripods, and lots of pain). It is more microscope than standard lens.
Bill

If I had $5000 budget for a macro setup I would get the following:

Nikon D7000
Nikon 60mm AFD lens
Kenko pro300 1.4x TC
Aqautica Housing AD7000
Aquatica Extension # 18453
Aquatica AF macro port
I-Torch video 4 light

The reason why I choose the Nikon D7000 is because its still a very good camera and you can buy the camera body new for $700. There is also a chance you be able to pick up a slightly used Housing at a fraction of the price a new one will be. I choosen the Nikon 60mm AFD lens as its a cheaper lens than the Nikon 60mm AFS and it allows you to use a teleconverter like Bill has suggested above (the AFS Nikon doesnt not allow AF with a TC).

Regards Mark

Thanks for the input Bill and Mark - much appreciated!

I've been heading to Asia for macro in November over the last couple of years and it has usually been enough particals in the water to affect the photo (or be an incentive to learn Photoshop). I had a look around and most suggested a 60mm macro lens for those kind of conditions. I forgot to mention I already have the Sola 800P focus light. I assume I would need to get a longer port for a setup with a teleconverter. Would it be possible to go with a 100/105mm port in case the next purchase is a 100/105mm lens? I'm thinking that in that case I could just buy a seperate port for the teleconverter at that time and skip the 60mm port since I tend to almost only do close up shots (you can see the type of shots I take on my flickr) or is that not a good option?

Can I use both the Tamron and Nikon lenses if I upgrade my camera house to a fullframe in the future?

Are there any differences to teleconverters due to brand if they both do 1.4x?

Best Regards,
Vigfus

After discussing with more diving friends and looking even more at flickr and flickriver I'm leaning towards a 105mm lens since I "only" do macro and most likely a d7000 or d7100 and sell the 650D. Angst, decisions, more angst and more decisions. I sure hope the outcome is worth the equipment angst :)

Best Regards,
Vigfus

The 100/105mm lenses are more difficult to use and you basically get the same magnification as the 60mm lenses. What you get is a longer working distance which is great for shy critters. They are great for fish portraits as you are able to keep your distance.

I have both and would choose the 60mm if I had to choose only one lens.

Thanks for the added input ozziworld!

I might get hold of a used Sea & Sea housing for the d7000 so at the moment that's the base setup I'm looking at. When looking for ports I used this Sea & Sea pdf chart and looked at the 105mm lens. I couldn't find any extension rings on the Sea & Sea system chart for Nikon. I don't know if it's not available with their system, but if it is available maybe a 60mm + teleconverter is a better starting point?

Best Regards,
Vigfus

I think if you have committed to macro, and only one lens, I'd go with the housing/body of your choice that fits your budget (I'm a Canon/Nauticam shooter but there are other good choices) and go with a 60 macro lens and a SubSee 10X diopter with swing mount.

I prefer the 100mm macro lens when I am shooting macro, but if I was stuck with one lens the 60 is definitely more versatile, as well as lighter, less bulky (that includes the port as well), and easier to use. With the SubSee diopter you can still get the very tiny stuff, and without it you can shoot pretty good mid range and fish portraits with the 60mm. The 100 does give you more working distance but on anything but very tiny stuff that is often more of a detriment than an advantage. The less water between you and the subject, the better the results.

Thanks for the added input saudio!

With all the feedback from other UW photographers and forums like this one I think I'm probably, maybe, might go for a D7000 and 60mm lens - at least until tomorrow
wink.png

Best Regards,
Vigfus

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom