Dive Condition Reports

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

6-22-2013

Star Reef
Surface Temp 80s F
Temp at Depth 79 F
Viz was ~ 20 feet @ 70 feet and murkier deeper

Rig GA A40-A (approx ~ 40 NM off Texas coast)
Surface Temp 80s F
Temp at Depth 81 F
Viz was 50-60 ft
Lots of other folks on the water as it was snapper season. Usual suspects Amberjacks, Crevalle Jacks, Snapper, Triggers, Blennys, Butterflyfish, Spades. Also jellyfish were pretty common in the upper water column. Nice day of diving with Captain Beard.

Last edited:
CSSP - June 22/23

Temp - 75 degrees to about 28 ffw, noticeable drop below that
Viz - 10-15' on Saturday, a bit lower on Sunday

CSSP 6/22/2013

Temps:
75F @ 26ft
69F @ 36ft
78F @ 24ft

Sisko, sailboat, plane, some platforms, both boat
wrecks, croppie nests, catfish crack, and more
sites visited. Plenty of the usual bass, catfish,
croppie, and turtles were active.

Vis was 10-20ft.

[video=youtube_share;J6HDJZODZkI]http://youtu.be/J6HDJZODZkI[/video]

Lake Travis - 06/22/13

Starnes - shallow side, 43 ft / 76 deg. / 10 ft vis. (saw a pearch whose body from the dorsal fin back was white, front half was grey. That was different)
Starnes - deep side, 38 ft / 80 deg. / 10 ft vis. (found a pair of oakley bottlecaps!!)
Between Hippie Hollow and Oasis - 39 ft / 79 deg. / 8 to 10 ft vis. (large grottos,one with air pocket tall enough to get your head above the water line)
Shaker - 40 ft / 79 deg. / 8 to 10 ft vis (spent the time exploring the nearby grottos)

Thanks Robert, Danny,Tron, and Chris for a fantastic day on the lake and excellent company. :D

Spring Lake, San Marcos June 26

Vis: 60'+
Temp: same
Spring Flow: 120cfs

Pete and me cleaned up Little Riverbed.

Best part of the day was after the dive. Talking with a 3 year old who watched us working. The parents said that we were the best part of the glass bottom boat tour for Dillon. One of the many things that makes diving Aquarena rewarding.

(Marina Area)

Vis was five feet or even less in some places.

73F @ 29ft
71F @ 30ft

---------- Post added June 30th, 2013 at 10:06 PM ----------

CSSP 6/30/2013

Plane, sailboat, a few platforms, and bass nests visitied.

Vis was highly variable. As little as five feet in deeper
areas right next to the bottom to 20 feet. The vast
majority of the time the vis was more than good enough to
explore casually and maintain buddy contact without too
much effort.

Temps:
62F @ 40ft
66F @ 40ft

[video=youtube_share;_qOcv1nIBVQ]http://youtu.be/_qOcv1nIBVQ[/video]

Spring Lake, San Marcos, July 4

Vis: 70+- but seemed a bit grainy in the Training Area cleared up at Diversion
Temp: same
Spring flow: 108cfs

Great way to start the 4th. Cavemn joined us and got his certification to dive the lake restored. The coontail die off is in full swing. While you can see a lot more of the bottom in some places, all that material has to go somewhere. The hump between Diversion and Cream of Wheat is getting congested. Ossified Forrest is getting very narrow, call it 8' in spots. There are other large heads of coontail along the east bank of Riverbed and the middle section of the west bank of Catfish Hotel is virtually covered. A very nice size channel catfish seems to have taken up residence under the large boulder on the west bank at the bottom of CH. He came out to check us out on the last two dives I made at CH. Lot of boat traffic so our instructions were to not mess the vis up too much and put on a good show for them.

Starnes Island, Lake Travis, July 5

Vis: 15
Temp: 84 down to 35ish

Sunset dive treasure hunting on Starnes Island with a twist: This time I brought my family on the boat. Spent the first half of the dive sweeping the deep side of the island at around 30. Then spent the second half sweeping the shallow side at 15'. After 1 hour and 10 minutes I decided I should probably get back to family and left 1000 psi in the LP95. I guess I won't be breathing this tank down to zero.

Anyone know how to sell prescription sunglasses? Found a pair of Prada's that sell for $220 new. I'd settle for $50. :)

family.jpg

girls.jpg

sunglasses.jpg

Lake Travis - 06/22/13

Starnes - shallow side, 43 ft / 76 deg. / 10 ft vis. (saw a pearch whose body from the dorsal fin back was white, front half was grey. That was different)
Starnes - deep side, 38 ft / 80 deg. / 10 ft vis. (found a pair of oakley bottlecaps!!)
Between Hippie Hollow and Oasis - 39 ft / 79 deg. / 8 to 10 ft vis. (large grottos,one with air pocket tall enough to get your head above the water line)
Shaker - 40 ft / 79 deg. / 8 to 10 ft vis (spent the time exploring the nearby grottos)

Thanks Robert, Danny,Tron, and Chris for a fantastic day on the lake and excellent company. :D

Hey! it was nice to meet you! :)
~dani

Back
Top Bottom