USS Monitor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jared0425

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Is the wreck still off limits or under strict control by NOAA?

Yes, it is a "permit only" dive location. Along with being deep and with a ripping current.

But when conditions are right it is a very good dive.
268926_1816164772378_5684313_n.jpg
Me 2 years ago with just about 1 knot of current(it was blowing straight in my face & I was fighting hard to maintain placement as photographer was putting a piece together for Wreck Diving magazine) , dove it last year with no current but no pictures there is video of that dive but I don't have access to it right now.
There is NO hooking of the wreck, we shot line it then shoot a bag & drift deco so have very good buoyancy control before attempting it.
I should say that I also dove it the day before this picture was taken & when we hit the bottom we had less than 5 ft of vis with 2 knots of current & never found the wreck that day.

If you want to dive the Monitor site, give Capt JT of Under Pressure a call. He has the most recent experience and success with trips to the Monitor site and can tell you how to go about setting up a trip and what is involved in obtaining a permit to visit the site. The permits are no longer very difficult to obtain but the site requires a great deal of experience and then patience to get on the site on the right day...

Did you require a permit? Was it a pain to get?
Yes a permit was required, JT did all the leg work on that, it is a pain at 1st but once you get 1 it is much easier the next time. They have 2 types, a recreational permit which JT tried to get & after much fuss they told him they don't approve of those so he went the scientific route and it was pushed through. You must hand over copies of all pictures & video taken & chances are they will send an observer out, or at least a 50% chance of that happening. But must admit the observer they sent out with us last time was very unobtrusive & let us get on with it with no interference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom