Dive Conditions at St Andrews Jetties

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveLvr

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Can any report what the jetties were like this past weekend? Any good boat divies out of Panama City?

Doug

Can any report what the jetties were like this past weekend? Any good boat divies out of Panama City?

Doug

I was at the state park this past weekend at it was alright, 15-20 ft Viz at best on Sunday then the clouds came out and it went to maybe 10 from losing the sunlight. There were a lot of jellyfish in the pass in the afternoon not so many in the morning.

My buddy told me he had 50' viz at the jetties on Sunday, but I don't know what time he went. Just goes to show how quickly conditions can change there.

As an aside, I spoke with a young lady at Pat Green's shop on Saturday; she said she saw lion fish on Stage 1 and the Twin Tugs. Just a reminder, if you see 'em, kill 'em! I'm pretty sure you don't even need a license in FL for lion fish, but you might want to check. Also, one was reported at the jetties Sunday, but you still can't kill them there, I'm pretty sure. That may bear some verification too though.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2

Plan your dives before & on the peak of high tide for the best viz. The slack of low tide & after it starts to come back in tend to be next best.

Right after high tide peaks & reverses, viz tend to go to crap pretty fast.

My buddy told me he had 50' viz at the jetties on Sunday, but I don't know what time he went. Just goes to show how quickly conditions can change there.

As an aside, I spoke with a young lady at Pat Green's shop on Saturday; she said she saw lion fish on Stage 1 and the Twin Tugs. Just a reminder, if you see 'em, kill 'em! I'm pretty sure you don't even need a license in FL for lion fish, but you might want to check. Also, one was reported at the jetties Sunday, but you still can't kill them there, I'm pretty sure. That may bear some verification too though.

I was wondering when they would show up at the jetties. I'm tempted to take a small lion tamer and wrap it in a lift bag to just kill them at depth at places like pickens and st. andrews where officials want to drag their feet. Last year a lion fish was reported at ft. pickens to the park authorities and they still have not said anything about spearing them there. Off shore in pensacola and dauphin island two years ago we started seeing them, now they are on the inshore structure by the dozens.

We went out Sunday (16 June) on the Steel Slinger out of Panama City Dive Charters and had a great couple dives; we had 50+ foot vis on the Red Sea and 50-60 foot vis on bridge span #12; water temps around 74, seas at 1 foot or less. Shot a lionfish on the Red Sea. Great operation, very professional, very thorough, great flexibility with PCDC(harters). It is also my understanding that no fishing license is required if you are lionfish hunting.

Last edited:
if I were diving the jetties I'd buy or make a lion tamer & take it with me & stick the bastich. Cut the fins off with shears & leave it for other fish to eat.

I spoke with an FWC guy at St Andrews SP last week about this. You absolutely may not spear lionfish at the jetties. Big fine if you are caught even carrying a spearing implement to or from the water.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom