Recovery from rotator cuff surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dbittner

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I managed to do a real number on my right rotator cuff when I fell on the pool deck following a scuba pool session. The MRI shows that I have a full width, full thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon, with a bit of damage to the infraspinatus tendon, and a full thickness tear of part of the subscapularis tendon. The corresponding muscles show varying degrees of atrophy (from mild to moderate).

I've already used the Search function, and checked past postings regarding rotator cuff injuries. However, I still have a few questions. (Note: I am not looking for a diagnosis or treatment here. My physicians, surgeon, and physical therapist are doing that. I'm just looking for the diver's (or diver/physician's) point of view and advice.)

1) It looks like I'm headed for surgery, but the surgery won't be scheduled for at least a month. I am going to Maui (Feb 11-20), and hope to get some diving in. On the recommendation of my physical therapist (and based on my own sense that I need to be careful), I'm going to take it easy. I probably won't dive every day, and I'll probably keep to boat diving, since it will be possible to enter (and exit) the water without the scuba unit on my back, and put it on (and take it off) at the surface. Does anyone have any suggestions of other things I can do to keep the stress off my right shoulder?

2) I understand that the first four-to-six weeks after the surgery involves keeping the shoulder immobile. I'd appreciate hearing from someone who has been there just how much this immobility affected everyday life. From the other threads it sounds like I'll be off work for that period -- but what other challenges will I be facing?

3) I know that following the period of immobility, there will be four-to-six months more of physical therapy. It sounds like the recovery will come in stages -- after a certain period of time, some normal duties can be taken on again. Will I have to wait until the end of all post-surgery physoical therapy before returning to recreational diving?

4) I am a Divemaster candidate, with only a few requirements left -- mapping project, equipment exchange, and final check-out dive. Obviously, I'll have to put off completion until after surgery and physical therapy. My question is, how well-recovered do I have to be before I can finish off the DM course?

Thank you ahead of time for any insights you can share with me, as well as references to any helpful threads or postings which my use of the Search function did not reveal.

Peace,
Dave

Last edited:
Dave, I didn't have rotator cuff surgery, but I had my arm tied to my side for six weeks after having a collarbone fracture repaired. It wasn't too bad -- nowhere near as bad as being on crutches, in terms of limitations of function. I couldn't drive a stick shift (which is what my car is) but I could drive an automatic. It was fairly difficult to type. The worst thing was that the shoulder ached horribly from the immobility.

Shoulders are fairly unforgiving joints, and they don't like to be immobilized. The rehab required to get a full range of motion back takes quite a while. I think it was about six months before I could put my arm up over my head, and about a year until I got back all the function I got (which was about 90% of what I had before). If you are comfortable diving with your hands clasped under your body, I would imagine you could get back in the water within a few months. If you need to dive with your arms out in front of you, it's going to be longer before you are comfortable, I suspect.

One piece of advice I learned the hard way: Do your rehab EXACTLY as it is prescribed. I am an overachiever, so I pushed a lot harder than the PT asked me to do, and in the process, I chewed up the cartilage in the shoulder joint itself, so I now have some arthritis there I didn't have before. If I'd been patient, that wouldn't have happened.

Sorry you're going to be laid up for a while. Buy Deco for Divers and the new cave diving book as a treat for yourself, to keep you busy while you can't dive!

You will always be susceptible to tears, but if you keep the tendon and shoulder muscle strengthening workouts up there is a very good chance you will make a full recovery and have full use of your arms without any worries. Tendons tend to take a long time to heal to a point where they can be put under heavy exertion, but scuba is pretty easy on the rotor when done properly so I would think you are going to be just fine after your rehab.

Be glad you didn't have a bunch of cartilage damage along with that. My should slides right out of place when it is put in awkward angles where the muscle can't restrain it.

Can't wait to hear what the resident doc has to say though.

All I can say is I feel your pain, or I did feel your pain.
I did the same number on my rotaror and tore the bicepts off the shoulder also.
My recovery was 9 months in rehab and to this day my right shoulder is at about 80 to 85%. I have a tough time with the valve drills with my right arm, I get cramps in my right scapular and bicepts from time to time. My right arm just doesn't have the same range of motion it did. Other than that I'm 80 to 85% better than I was before the surgery. I now dive with a dive rite deluxe harness rather than a hog because it allow me the option of the quick release on the left side if needed.

Good luck, Jim Breslin

Last edited:
I had the surgery in July '08. Went on a 3 week dive trip to Indonesia in Dec. I have very negligible pain and pretty much full function but not strength in all positions. Sure is a lot better than before the op. Everyone heals differently, but you are probably younger than I am so should heal faster. My physical therapy lasted about 6 weeks. I followed the recommended protocols for rehab and go to the gym frequently to loosen and strengthen. Good luck.

3) I know that following the period of immobility, there will be four-to-six months more of physical therapy. It sounds like the recovery will come in stages -- after a certain period of time, some normal duties can be taken on again. Will I have to wait until the end of all post-surgery physoical therapy before returning to recreational diving?

Probably not. I buggered my right shoulder by falling off a mountain (I got lucky considering the fall I made). I didn't get surgery for mine but they used ultrasound and physio. In my case the injury was probably not as bad as yours but it still took months before I had full range of motion an no pain doing normal things and more than a year before I could play squash or anything like that. It still pops sometimes when I move it strangely. I was in my early 20's at the time so depending on your age you can try to guess from that.

One thing I learned from that is that injuries like this never really heal, they just get better.

R..

Thank you for your replies. It has really helped to hear from other divers who have experienced rotator cuff problems, or other related shoulder problems. I realize that there is a good chance that I won't recover 100% of shoulder function, but that I have a good chance of improving beyond my present limits.

Also, I greatly appreciate the advice to do my exercises EXACTLY as I am told. I am not a very patient patient, so the warning is well taken.

Oh well, I leave for Kihei, Maui in 6 days. I hope to get in a number of dives before I head into dry dock for repairs.

Thank you again for your help and advice.

Peace,
Dave

Dave:

Though I am not a diver - I too am having rotator cuff surgery. I was knocked down on a snow slope (or should I say ice slope) by surprise, and fell on my right shoulder, with my elbow extended. An MRI appears to show a full thickness tear of the supraspinatus tendon. THis all happened January 11, 2009.

I'm having surgery on Feb. 18th here in NYC with a sports medicine orthopedic surgeon. I'm not looking forward to it or the recovery, but I really have no choice in view of the continued pain, loss of any ability to lift my arm high then chest height, and loss of sleep.

Feel free to email to compare notes.

Best regards.

Brian
brianphopkins@yahoo.com

I know this is an old thread, but I was wondering how everyone made out with diving after their surgery. I tore my rotator cuff last month and am having surgery in July. I'm supposed to go on a liveaboard trip overseas in the middle of Sept. I know that will be pushing it, but if I'm careful and do everything I'm supposed to, is there a chance I can still do my trip?

Also, I work on a boat as a divemaster. I know it will be a while before I'm comfortable pulling a float ball again, but please tell me I WILL eventually be able to do it!

And I'm curious if anyone ended up with "frozen shoulder syndrome" from injuries and/or immobilization? If so, how long did it last and how did you make out diving?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom