Dive Incident Bonaire, June 4, 2013

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Diver Lori

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I was witness to a fatal incident and was curious how I would go about finding out details of COD after? Any ideas? I've checked local newspapers online and other types of Google searches without any success.

I'm told that often the cause is listed as drowning when, of course; that would be secondary--the person happened to be in the water when something else went wrong. So, the COD may not provide any useful information.............I recall reading something about this here or on bonairetalk.com. Good Luck! btw, I did take a quick look at "Accidents and Incidents" here on scubaboard, I suggest starting a thread there...
I googled a little and found that I saw some info on Forum Bonaire....

Last edited:
Edited because I'm not comfortable contributing to the unsubstantiated speculation which seems to be evolving below. Lori sent me a PM indicating she read what I shared.

I hope all affected by this incident and Mark's passing find eventual peace as quickly as possible.

Last edited:
Did Mr Lewis not have DAN insurance? If he did and for some reason I think he probably did, does DAN only assist if you make it?

Did Mr Lewis not have DAN insurance? If he did and for some reason I think he probably did, does DAN only assist if you make it?
Not every diver does, but yes - under DAN membership: Travel Assist
Repatriation of Remains
If you or a covered family member dies while traveling, DAN TravelAssist will arrange and pay, up to the policy limit, for all costs associated with the return of your remains.
I saw his daughter's post on his page. Something weird there...??

Yes, sorry to cast aspersions, but something appears to be weird there.

I concur, especially since the daughter's FB page didn't start until after the event.

Indeed and even if started sooner didn't ask for assistance until two weeks after the incident. Yes, something is wrong there.

I concur, especially since the daughter's FB page didn't start until after the event.
Indeed and even if started sooner didn't ask for assistance until two weeks after the incident. Yes, something is wrong there.
I'm not seeing anything unusual in either of those points. Not everyone has FB and who knows, in two years it may be over like Myspace. There's no way of knowing what all of her challenges were after the accident, what she's tried to get done, etc. I did send her a FB message asking if her dad was a member of DAN with a link to those membership services*, but it'll go to her Other box and she may never see it? I do hope she has contact the American Consulate for help. I'm no expert but the last time I read about their procedures, the Embassy will return an American's body as needed and seek repayment later. I make sure my daughter knows about my double coverage for such expenses if she ever needs to send for my remains.

I am sorry if I started unfounded speculations here, but this part on the FB page just sounds odd...?
Yes, my father's body and belongings still sit in Bonaire and I am beside myself. I do not have the means to get him back and the two people who could easily have taken care of this have told me unmentionable things that they wish would happen to my father's body.

* I have noticed that many DAN members are not clear on Travel Assist membership services included, other than the dive insurance many of us also have. It all has to be done thru them, but everyone should know about the numerous benefits. See link: http://www.diversalertnetwork.org/membership/travelassist.asp

I hope that when the family is ready, they will discuss and share details as to what happened. I have gained a great deal of information reading the 'accidents and incidents' forum. Not only has it helped me become a better diver, but a better and more attentive dive buddy. My heart and condolences go out to everyone involved in this tragedy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom