Dominican Republic. Staying in "Dreams La Romana' - please advise on diving choices

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

M_B

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
First trip to DR.
will be staying with family in "Dreams La Romana" first week September 2013. all i know that there is a onsite dive shop.

Appreciate any recommendations for the diving options.

// I hope for a few dives @ best :( ...

just a few thoughts:
no home-reefs? all reefs must be ferried by boat? prices?

Thank you

I stayed at Dreams a couple of years ago and loved the place...decent snorkeling off the pier as well. Do yourself a favour and contact John at ScubaFun and book your dives with him. He runs a great shop with excellent boats and divemasters. I have used his shop twice and highly recommend him. You can walk to Bayahibe (the little village where his shop is located) by walking 10 minutes along the beach in front of Dreams or John will pick you up at no charge. You can dive an amazing wreck of an old Russian freighter and some great reefs (Penon is my favourite). You can do a full day trip to Catalina Island and dive a really amazing wall and have lunch on the beach. Just Google "ScubaFun Bayahibe". If you have any questions feel free to message me.

Bob (Toronto)

Bob,
thank you. I shall do that!

In December, I'll being staying there for a wedding. It will be my first trip to the DR and, of course, I'll want to do some diving. As suggested above, I'll look up ScubaFun. Any other info would be appreciated.

We were in Bayahibe this past spring break and dove with Coral Point Diving. Their shop is right on the beach in Bayahibe and offer an extremely personalized service, with smaller uncrowded boats, pickup at the hotel and such. We are four divers in the family and always had the boat to ourselves, with the captain and the DM. Reefs are healthy and the dive shop owner is a marine biologist, something not often found in dive shops. The wrecks are nice, both the deep wreck and the shallower Atlantic Princess.

We stayed at Dreams 3 years ago for a friends wedding and we booked several days of diving with Diving Dominican Republic Scuba Diving Dominican Republic
It's about a 5 minute walk along the beach to their shop and the boat leaves from the same location. We got lucky and had the boat to ourselves (just 2 of us and the DM) for all of our diving (but I'll put a disclaimer not to expect this). Vlad and Denise, the married couple who run the business are great and we still keep in touch with them! Can't recommend them enough, especially over the resort shop! Photos from our trip: DOMINICAN REPUBLIC 2010 - bumblebeeimages' Photos | SmugMug

The Cuban place next door to them is pretty good too and you must try at least once as a break from All Inclusive food! Ropa Vieja - Yum!

Hi M_B, I was there last week with my family, choose R.D. because was cheap in an all inclusive hotel and went with my 13 year son, PADI Junior, that only can dive up to 36 ft. Stayed at Punta Cana, rather far away, so we traveled almost every day about 1 hour to reach Bayahibe or La Romana, where the best dive sites are. Surelly you´ll find lots of dive ops., can´t tell you since I was rather far and decided to hire Aquatrack, his owner is a german, Mr. Herbert Mohr, very professional, friendly and has excellent gear, expert in cave and tech diving. He takes you in his van, with a customized service or shared, he hires the boat service and tank fills of other dive shops but charges the same, the difference is that goes along with you, taking special care and renting his own top quality equipment, since I had to specially care about my son, this was great for us. One tank costs about USD 45, cave 65, my daytrips with Aquatrack were expensive due to distance, payed 75 per person, including van, boat and meals, this means that for 4 tanks at Catalina, plus the 4 daytrips with snorkeling for the girls, payed USD 480. Boats leave from Chavon river at La Romana and reach Catalina island in few minutes. It´s a nice place to dive, with a wall and coral reef, lots of life but small fish. The island is also nice to spend the day at its beach, specially with your family, they can also snorkel in a shallow reef near the shore. There are some interesting wrecks, some quite deep at 120 ft. Bayahibe is also worth to go, good beach for the family, quite safe but always full of peddlers. At Bayahibe best dive sites are the wreck of 1715 "Siglo Guadalupe" galeon, at only 15 ft, only see cannons and the anchor, the nearby reef is not very good, the night dive is better there. Other interesting wreck is "Atlantic Princess" at 36 ft, can go inside and take good pictures, it´s safe since it´s not very old, nearby there´s a healthy reef and sand field full of eels (see my youtube channel Enersys Uy), visibility is about 60ft, water temp near 90ºF, don´t really need a wetsuit. Both wrecks and reefs are only 5 minutes boat trip. Don´t miss the cave "Chicho", although I´m not a cave diver, dove the cenotes in Mexico and had some experience, If you have more than 20 hours in you log book, you can go there with a guide. Is very near from the beach, about 15 min by car. The first stage of this cave, has a 900 ft tunnel, can be done with a 1/3 tank breathing carefully, water temp is not as cold as in Mexico. At the end of the first tunnel you find the entrance for Chicho II, only for cave fans with lots of tanks, the entrance is scaring... We hired the tanks at Casa Daniel dive shop, in front of the Bayahibe bay, the owner is from Swiss, they have quality gear, the rest of the gear was Aquatrack´s.
D.R. is not a very good diving destination, but enjoyable if you combine diving with other activities, it´s a good option for a family trip. Sorry for my poor english. B. rgds from Uruguay

Back
Top Bottom