How does Anilao rate..?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wiggsy, I do apologise for derailing your thread a little bit. If I could help with Anilao I would do.
I could highly recommend the accommodation that I used in MoalBoal, but I imagine it is far removed from what you will have at Kasai Village.
Mainly dormitory beds but as I was with a friend we were lucky enough to get a twin/double room for about the same price as a dorm bed each, door key, standing fan, communal toilet, social area. A bargain for less than P500 for the room.

I wonder how many places in Philippines can offer P500.00 ish per night. BTW, how much the "ish" stretch to?

Many places, not necessarily internet advertised, and as dimac said; basic.
I'm only ever looking for a single bed or bunk, fan, accessible toilet and cold water shower, (bucket flush toilet, bucket shower). I don't need breakfast or dinner, or sheets or towels. Anything above the bare minimum (with no bed bugs) is marvelous. Accommodation is for sleeping, and trusting that my passport will be there when I return.
If sheets/towels/other extras come as standard then I'm flexible on the price, P500 is the price I can usually find for a basic bed. I'm not arrogant enough to haggle over low cost accommodation and I haven't yet had 'bad' accommodation.

Nic

No worries buddy! We just are looking for different things...actually I'd be happy sleeping on a hammock on the beach (bar for the mozzies) but the good ladies in my life (wife and kids) see things differently. But no worries re hijacking the thread. We're all just here to find some information.

Comparing Anilao with PG, on my last trip to the Philippines in October last year I had two buddies with me both of whom had never dived in the Philippines. We did Anilao first then PG ..... no regrets with PG but we all agreed that Anilao was far superior and we had our own guide and boat whilst at Crystal Blue Resort (more ish on the P500 per night)

My next trip to Philippines will definitely include Anilao but probably not PG.

Are there homestays/pension houses/dorm accommodation in Anilao for PHP500 ish per night?
I crossed Anilao off my Philippines list last time as I was advised that it is impossible to find cheap accommodation.

The Philippines seriously lacks decent quality economy accommodation (priced relative to comparable alternatives in Thailand/Malaysia/Vietnam etc).

Those (Filipinos) that can afford to vacation can afford higher priced rooms. Foreigners are, by default, assumed to be able to afford it. Those (Filipinos) that can't afford it will stay with family/friends if visiting an area. Where cheap accommodation is available, it can be pretty squalid (again, in comparison with other Asian destinations). There's little-to-no consideration of the backpacker/ budget traveler market...hence, so few of those visiting the country.

When visiting Anilao, do be aware that some resort offer unlimited shore diving. Whilst the rooms may cost ~3000php per night (with food/drinks), you can claw back significant expense on the diving costs (saving 800-1500php per dive... you can work it out). Of course, you're restricted to shore diving at that resort - but the shore diving is pretty damned good at most of them (if macro/muck is your thing).

Anilao gets very cheap if travelling as a group. There are options for sharing rooms and the cost to charter a dive boat (costs split between group) gets much cheaper... very cheap if the group can fill the boat to capacity. Also, you pay for DM guides... so it's cheaper if you, at least, have a buddy diver with you.

Transport to/from Anilao is extortionate. It's the primary reason (IMHO) why Anilao persists in attracting very low foreign tourist numbers (not counting expats who live here). Public transport is far from attractive if travelling with heavy dive gear etc. Taxi/Private Car & driver charter pricing is a very effective deterrent to single travelers or couples. Again, it works out okay for larger groups (4 to split a taxi, 6-8 to split a van charter)... which is why you do get semi-frequent groups/dive clubs from other Asian countries visiting. Otherwise, it's strictly for the Manila crowd.... who own their own cars and can drive there for routine weekend-only driving (often staying only Sat night).

It'd only take one resort to offer (and promote) free transfers to Manila, along with a good weekday room deal, to start pulling in foreign visiting divers. Some entrepreneurship with respect to ancillary charges (bar drinks, snacks and 'off-the-set-menu' food options etc) could easily recoup those costs if the resort was thriving seven (7) days a week.... instead of the existing Mon-Fri ghost-town.

None seem to have seen the logic in that yet. Either that, or there is an unspoken preference to keep the foreign tourist crowds away and preserve Anilao exclusively for the whim of the prosperous Manila dive crowd... It's more fun in the Philippines... :wink:

I'm only ever looking for a single bed or bunk, fan, accessible toilet and cold water shower, (bucket flush toilet, bucket shower). I don't need breakfast or dinner, or sheets or towels. Anything above the bare minimum (with no bed bugs) is marvelous. Accommodation is for sleeping, and trusting that my passport will be there when I return.
If sheets/towels/other extras come as standard then I'm flexible on the price, P500 is the price I can usually find for a basic bed. I'm not arrogant enough to haggle over low cost accommodation and I haven't yet had 'bad' accommodation.

I totally agree with Devon.

I've been to Anilao only once and found it really hard to reach the place if you don't have/bring your own car. Taking a cab from Manila to there is like selling one of your kidneys. It just ain't practical.

I only did an impromptu (I didn't even have my logbook with me) shore dive on one of the 4-star resorts there and the bill caused me to shy away from diving anywhere near Anilao. But I'm not closing my doors as I believe it was just an isolated case. :D

@MrsBBC. We can plan a backpacker style weekend to Anilao. I'm down with basic accommodations.

Anyone wants to join? :wink:

Anilao reminds me of excellent dive spots, well maintained dive resorts, and fantastic service by boaters and dive guides . Locals and local politicians realize that it is in their best interest to keep the place as pristine as possible and maintain it as a must see scuba diving destination. Patrols by marine authorities have significantly reduced incidences of illegal fishing and poaching. Environmentalists and dive groups regularly conduct activities that protect the environment (coastal cleanups, giant clam seeding etc).

I just got back from Anilao. We stayed at Club O and while the accommodations where not quite the standard I was used to, everything else was fantastic. The food was quite good, we basically had the resort to ourselves and anything we needed was taken care of quickly. Our guide, Peri, was amazing and the diving was a nice surprise as I was a little skeptical about Anilao as I thought it was all macro and while there is not much big stuff, there are schools of fish and nice reefs.
As others have stated, there is nothing to do in anilao, so for the 4 nights we where there we never even contemplated leaving the resort. As with most trips in the philippines, it was a great bargain. 4 dives a day with nitrox, meals, ac room with single supplement and private transfers to and from airport was around 800usd. I highly recommend anilao.

Cheers Devon,
Sounds like Anilao would be perfect if I could get a couple of mates together during the week. Unfortunately that seems unlikely. Maybe I should set some time aside and give it a try anyways so I can report back for future backpackers.

FinneRioaTaus. If I can secure I trip to the Philippines this year then I'll be sure to message you.

Nic

DevonDiver hit the nail right on the head with his comments on Anilao. As a solo diver who has been there several times, (my wife is from there), the diving is expensive for the solo person during the week, then comes the weekend when the place is packed full and there is actually a shortage of DM's.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom