Recovery from rotator cuff surgery

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And I'm curious if anyone ended up with "frozen shoulder syndrome" from injuries and/or immobilization? If so, how long did it last and how did you make out diving?

My left shoulder froze September, 2012. I had the surgery 27 December 2012. Rehabilitation took a few months. I was back in a drysuit diving in a quarry in April. I still had mobility problems, particularly reaching the inflation valve and donning/duffing my BP&W. More than diving, however, is the stiffness and pain when I play guitar. I couldn't play the last six months of 2012 and I'm finally getting back to regular one to two hour practice.

I think I have good new for you. I had surgery in August '12 to reattach about 1/3rd of the tendon from my supraspinatus that had torn free and separated over 1/2 inch from where it was attached. He also cleaned up some odds and end bone growth we older folks are subject to get (along with nose and ear hair). I was diving in Cozumel in October. Needed a little extra help donning and doffing gear but the rest of the diving was fine including climbing ladders. Tank carries were done with the left arm only. Now, over 10 months later, it is still slowly getting better. I can carry tanks but I doubt I will ever be able to throw a ball again. Diving is OK but I am not lifting any tanks over my head again.

BTW, I sustained the injuries in March and April (a fall and a scuba gear ally-opp). Hurt but did not go to the Dr until June. Did Bonaire in july with no big problem - just a lot of extra caution and a little extra help from my wife/buddy.

OK I'm confused. You had surgery for "frozen shoulder syndrome"? Or was the surgery for pre existing injury that then also resulted in "frozen shoulder"?

OK, so it sounds like if I'm a good girl, don't overdo it, and do my PT everyday, there is a possibility that I'll be able to go overseas diving on a liveaboard as long as I'm careful with how much weight I lug around, and am careful with my shoulder? Surgery is set for July 3, Solomon Islands trip I'm supposed to leave for Sept. 12.

A serious head -on with a car, on the Harley back in '95 left me with more than a few "soft tissue injuries", eventually resulting in multiple knee, hernia and shoulder (rotator cuff) surgeries.

The rotator cuff tear repair took me quite a few months to recover from. PT and home exercises (which I am very bad about doing). At least the surgery was arthroscopic. When I was first injured the only option was major, open surgery, and not arthroscopic, so I lived with the pain for a few years before it became intollerable and kept "locking up", and in the meantime the new surgery became a possibility.

I have to thank my then 12 year old son for helping me get full use of my shoulder back. A little league pitcher and catcher, and having no other kids living nearby, he wanted Dad to practice with him, and it forced me to keep using my shoulder, even when it hurt. I would start out tossing the ball underhand, until the shoulder loosened a bit, and then switch to overhand. A summer of that and I had complete recovery in every way, and no problems at all since (and, I ain't no young pup who heals quickly any longer :shakehead:)

I also took a fall while climbing, have been in and out of the water with repetative dislocations. Had surgery and things held together quite well for almost a full year before i blew it out again. Hardest thing i find is staying off the wall and out of the water for 3-4 weeks while my tendons tighten up. Ill never throw a ball again, cant reach the cereal in the top shelf anymore and deal with chronic pain most of the time. But with a lifetime of physio and another surgery on the horizon after another dislocation after diving yesterday I should be back in the water in a few weeks. The trick is constant physio, stay in good shape and it will help keep the number of incidents down. Pretty rough deal when you are still young =) Use the down time to send your regs in for service and work out the kinks in your gear, at least that way youll be ready for the dives when you can go. BE CAREFUL donning and doffing gear, that is where i always throw mine out. Moving it on and off the boat, putting my harness on and taking it off are the biggest things that get me injured it seems. diving itself has been no problem.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom