Coz temps and Sabor

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The FAQ that I spent time putting together for this forum has actual temperatures on that page that are reflective of what temperatures have been all week! :)

Just curious - where did you get the idea that you would have to pay extra for a fast boat from town or someone other than the onsite op (which to my knowledge DOES charge more for the fast boat option)? That's not the case for most operations. Avoiding long boat rides is negated when you are on the large slow boats - which is what DP runs unless you upgrade to a small fast boat. The average boat ride from mid-town hotels to Palancar for example, is 25 - 30 minutes on a fast boat. The boat ride from Sabor to Palancar on a large DP boat is 20 - 25 minutes - Just providing this as an FYI - it seems you may have been given some inaccurate information :)

As far as experiences people have had at Sabor - there are MANY threads covering that topic here and of course places like Trip Advisor. This forum has a great search feature at the top of the page. Search Sabor Cozumel and you'll get a large range of opinions on that hotel.

Mossman just stayed there a week ago - so search his posts and you can read about his experiences :)
I may have gotten misinformation,will have to see.i had to pay extra for fast boats with aqua safari in the past and had to have a minimum of 4 people.if you're correct about DP I may consider another company for afternoon dives. Thanks

Actually, I stayed at Secrets/Aura, didn't even venture over to the Sabor side. Not sure if there was a dock fee at Secrets - the hotel didn't charge me nor did Jeremy.

Besides the obvious northern sites, which other sites are limited due to staying at a southern resort? (On my boat, there was another diver staying at Secrets, one at the Occidental, and four from the Allegro, so my staying further north wouldn't have made a difference anyway.)

Dive Palancar is on site and last I knew Sand Dollar Sports is just a short walk (as in it borders the resort).
As for the Sabor, good question. I am a member there and there have been A LOT of changes in the last 2 years. Unfortunately I haven't been there for a year and a half so I can't tell you how it is currently.
It was a very nice place. The a few years back when tourism fell off it was still good but there were a few cutbacks, still worth going though. Now days I have no idea.
Good luck and enjoy after all, there are no bad dives in Cozumel.

The owners of the house on the north end have put in a fairly high fence to basically the edge of the rocks so getting over it is a chore. I could do it but my wife said no so we went out of the hotel along the old road and down the run down entrance to the North concrete pier. It is becoming overgrown so at least wear some decent shoes and watch for stickers. The wooden stairs as of early June 2013 are still in ok shape. There is no maintenance being done.

I talked to my dive op and from what I can tell and what I think I know about beach/oceanside access is that the house owner cannot block access like they did. It will take official complaints to try to get something done. Ultimately, oceanside access to the pier as in the past it seems, will be easier said than done.

As I recall, the taxi fare from Sabor (Sunscapes/Secrets) to Caleta (marina) was the same zone fare as to town. There is updated taxi fare info in this forum. We did this in Feb 2013 but I don't remember what we paid. This shold not matter to Klynch as he is diving with DP.

By Sabor I think you (Klynch) mean the hotel portion. It is now Sunscapes. The old Sabor Exclusive is now part of Secrets (with the old Aura hotel). The Sabor hotel has been getting upgraded so physically it's not bad. Depends on what you want. I think the rooms are small. If you mean the old Sabor Exclusive, it's more upscale than Sabor. We have stayed at all the properties there and were ok with it as we went in with appropriate expections for class of property.

I may have gotten misinformation,will have to see.i had to pay extra for fast boats with aqua safari in the past and had to have a minimum of 4 people.if you're correct about DP I may consider another company for afternoon dives. Thanks
Just returned from the Sabor and dive palancar.the hotel is fine,party atmosphere.Dive palancar will take anybody who can breathe.meaning bad or beginner divers.will look to other ops.

Welcome home! Can you answer a few questions about your trip?

How was the food at Sabor? What did you think of the rooms (and what kind did you have?)
Is it difficult to get drinks at the bars? (Alcoholic or non-alcoholic)
Were there fun activities in the afternoon/evening?

When you say party atmosphere, was it loud and did the noise carry into rooms?

Last edited:
Last month the water temp was 85-86 at 100 ft. I doubt it varies much during the year. I've stayed at the Iberostar 6 times (its nice and the closest resort to the reefs) but they have started charging dive operators $50 a month to use their dock and my dive operator, Scuba with Alyson, will not pay it. They started to enforce it during my stay so I had to wade out into the water to get on the dive boat. I would never stay with them again because I would never give up diving with Alyson.

At Sunscape Sabor right now. Nice place, food is bland. deserts have very little sugar or flavor. Beer is Dos Equis. We have a villa right over the pizza place. Very nice for Cozumel, could use a new couch, bed comfortable enough and service good. Diving with Dive House, as Palancar did not respond to my dive request until I was already here. Diving 32 EAN first dive, air on the second dive. Nice workers and DM, Orlando and Keiko are two. Night Dive Monday and Wednesday. Monday was great, about to do Wednesday.

No real complaints about Dive House or Sabor Sunscape.

Back
Top Bottom