Snorkel vest into BC, it works...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aigtbootbp

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
For various reasons I decided to convert a snorkel vest into a BC.
It worked. Simply take a snorkel vest and cut a couple of appropriate sized holes in strategic locations to hook up a power inflator and an overpressure valve. Use with a simple backplate and you have a back-to-basics type rig.
The downside is you have very little lift so get your weight right! Of course this works best when no exposure protection is needed.
Just thought I would mention this here.

What was your reason for doing so? Was it for vintage diving?

A snorkel vest can also be used as a replacement bladder in some of the horse collars that are notorius for delaminating.

A few factors, I do like the original aspect of diving which was simply use what you needed but no more. A very simplistic approach. I also like the idea of a very light, compact system that could still do the job. Since there are very few modern horse collars out there and those have advanced (read added to and far more sophisticated) well beyond what they started as I decided I would have to try something different.
A conversation with a dive shop operator (also a cave diver who is into retro equipment) brought up the idea of converting a vest.
Since the construction of a vest is quite similiar to a basic BC it was quick work to modify one.
I will be looking at other vests for more trials. Capacity and form are the two big factors. I want more lift and a shape that causes even less interference when diving. Maybe have to add a pocket of my own but that will come later.

ETA;
a lot of dive operators insist on a BC, this qualifies in a minimalistic manner and is still functional yet is almost like not wearing a BC at all.

Last edited:
Aigtbootbp, I have converted a couple of older horse collars into wings quite successfully. They're generally cheaper on ebay than a new snorkel vest is and sometimes even have useable parts already. Snorkel vests don't have pull dumps, for example, or inflator hoses other than the oral inflation tubes.

I've been quite happy with my "minimal wing". Perhaps, if you're inclined, that might be another option for you.

Back
Top Bottom