Last minute cancellations and "no shows"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

steve, your post actually was more than just pointing it out...
you gave some narritave about how because of this policy you use other operations.

the further south you go the longer the dive season becomes.

I have about 100 NC coastal dives which is about the same as my Florida total. Every businessman has to go with the business model that they can work best with. I tend to have a very flexible schedule but one that keeps flexing. It does not matter if it is a hotel room or a dive trip. I cannot afford to get locked in several months ahead but I do like to make reservations that I think are reasonable and fit my diving style which leans to the mellow side.

I dive the Keys because I like shallow reef dives and tropical fish too and we do not have shallow reef dives in NC. We do have nice offshore ledges which I like to dive as much as the wrecks. The NC vs FL decision for me is strictly about personal schedules and family commitments.

My narrative was intended to be more about NC options. Fortunately in NC we have several quality options.

In choosing my NC op I look at op quality, trip cancellation policy, intended dive site, car ride to boat, length of boat ride, amount of shade. (I have already had a couple of skin baddies removed from my old hide so having shade on the ride out and back is important to me when I can get it.) among other factors.

I could not let this go by without a comment. That was a "class act" thing to do. More than once I have reached in my pocket and tipped my mate for a "no show" or clueless tipper.

Contrary to what some believe, North Carolina crew work very hard for their customers. As a practice we don't haul your tanks or set up your gear. And we usually don't make you a sandwich. But every crew member on every boat is very attentive to everything that is going on with every diver. You just might not notice because you are also focusing on your gear and dives. We pay close attention to when you leave the boat and when we expect you back. We make sure you are capable of making the dive, but sometimes things go wrong. When that happens and it was because you were not prepared, then expect a stern "talking to".

Our crew members risk their lives dive bombing to the bottom with hook and chain in hand to make sure you have a solid tie in to the wreck in a spot that will be easy to navigate and return to. Then when you are done, they go back alone and untie it.

We don't pay our crew members. Like the Captains, they do it more for love than money. So at the end of the day, when you have just done 2 prolific dives and you are packing up your gear, reach in your pocket and give the guy that helped make that happen a minimum of $20.

I am new to diving, and am curious what is the proper amount people should individually give as tips?

I am new to diving, and am curious what is the proper amount people should individually give as tips?

I do $5 for basic service, $10 for outstanding. Typically its $20 day for 3 dives.

I usually tip $20 per trip or $10 a tank for our typical 2 tank day x 2 for my better half and I.

Capt James has always treated us right and we have seen some amazing wrecks and marine animals.

Diving NC is about as near to heaven as I can think of without going through the pearly gates.:wink:

I do $5 for basic service, $10 for outstanding. Typically its $20 day for 3 dives.

$10 for outstanding. Seriously?

Where is that? I hope it is not North Carolina. $20 is a standard tip, anything more than that is generous and anything less has us thinking we did something wrong or you don't have a clue.

I tip the guys at the fuel dock $20 just for bringing me the nozzle. But I always get great service. You figure it out.

In all fairness, I think there is a difference in a six-pack or tech charter, and a cattle boat. In S FL, I have stopped diving some of the bigger ops where they put 25-30 people on a boat, with two "DMs" who are vastly more interested in flirting with each other or someone on the boat than in giving a decent dive briefing. I much prefer the smaller ops - like yours in NC - and don't mind paying a premium for the ride and for the tip. But a $5 tip for the service you get on one of those cattle boats - I can see that.

$10 for outstanding. Seriously?

Where is that? I hope it is not North Carolina. $20 is a standard tip, anything more than that is generous and anything less has us thinking we did something wrong or you don't have a clue.

I tip the guys at the fuel dock $20 just for bringing me the nozzle. But I always get great service. You figure it out.

Using that analogy I might replace Outback with Ruth's Chris, but yes, that's what I meant. Nothing wrong with Golden Corral, either, just not my personal preference. :)

Kate...you are correct. It is apples and oranges. It makes sense you would tip differently at Outback than you would at Golden Corral.

When everything clicks, it is arguably the best diving in the world, not just the states.
Best in the world is a pretty bold statement... What type of diving do you have in mind when you make this statement...? Me, I like to spearfish, hunt for teeth, and catch a good wreck and even on the "best" of days; NC its very good but I would never say "its arguably the best in the world..." but that is just me...!

I love diving the coast of NC... and on a good day, it is quite nice but more likely than not it will be 3' to 5' at 8/10 seconds... Blowouts are numerous and more likely than not during a typical weekend. To be fair, good days probably out number bad days say what; 60/40 give or take? Please don't tell me how great diving the weekdays are... Most of us are hitting you guys on the weekends...

My beef with the dive operations may be out of line or unreasonable but I am paying for a dive slot, transportation, air fills, equipment, hotel, food, and such... If this trip is planned to U-352 and Spar, then I expect to dive the 352 and Spar... I do not appreciate ANY dive operation that goes out on iffy weather telling me at the dock "were heading to the 352 and Spar and once out, deciding its to rough and blow smoke up my bum and telling me its to bad to go out so were heading to the Ashkhabad and then try and convince me what a great dive the Ashkhabad is...!!!

If we don't go where we are expected to go then I should have the option to call the dive on the dock before we go, full refund... once on the boat, you take me to a different dive site due to a bad call in judgement, the dive is half price... Do not try and convince me that any dive is better than no dive... I would never pay a hundred+ to dive a quarry... ANY quarry...!!!

But then again, that is just my own opinion...! And again, I know what the weather is like here and I truly understand we get alot of blowouts, goes with the territory but don't play me a fool and call off a site to take me to some dump 5 miles off the coast with little vis on its best days and expect me to pay full price and be happy about it...!

No disrespect intended to anyone. lee

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom