Scuba Schools of America/Rusty Berry

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Amazing this thread is still going! I was just in Hawaii and talked to someone that used to work in the biz here in L.A. and he was saying all the same things, certs costing several thousand dollars with all new gear and rebreathers. How he stays in business is beyond me in these days of yelp

Can I suggest that any (or all) of you who have issues, please file a Yelp review about him, as well? Right now, he's carrying 3.5 Stars, which isn't very bad. Unsuspecting customers could wander into his shop to check it out. I'd just as soon see a "Going out of business" sign on the front of his store, ASAP. That guy is ridiculous...

Can I suggest that any (or all) of you who have issues, please file a Yelp review about him, as well? Right now, he's carrying 3.5 Stars, which isn't very bad. Unsuspecting customers could wander into his shop to check it out. I'd just as soon see a "Going out of business" sign on the front of his store, ASAP. That guy is ridiculous...

Like BBB, I believe "paid membership" can help remove negative reviews. Yelp and BBB suck.

I did eventually get all my money back, (minus classes, snorkel and fins)...I had to go through my credit card company, filed a complaint with them and also filed a lawsuit at the same time. CC company (which was financed through the store) refunded me the full amount and I dropped the lawsuit after that.

I don't know any shop that gives a refund after it has touched salt water. He was willing to sell the gear for you and give you back your money. you might want to go back to his shop and take him up on that offer. $8,000 dollars for open water. Crazy. You shouldn't even be in a dry suit till your comfortable in a wet.

---------- Post Merged at 12:10 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:07 PM ----------

He did try selling me a rebreather, even went on and on about them in a class where he was supposed to be teaching us about basic open water...BEFORE I had even had my first day in open water!

Only dry suits? I'm surprised he didn't try to sell you a rebreather....
This guy gives LSD's a bad rep...

---------- Post Merged at 12:15 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 12:07 PM ----------

I have put up reviews on every site I can think of, including Yelp, Google and BBB. They magically all disappear...or get filed away.

I did notice, however, that when I went to the LA Travel Show (where I initially met him) earlier this year, there was no dive pool and no rusty to be found anywhere...I would hope that's a good sign.

I had a Rusty experience back in 2003 and wanted to give my experiences and my perspective on his business.

I have had a poor experience with him as well. The same approach and the same sales tactics. He turned an experience that should have been fun and momentous and turned it into an uninspiring and stressful experience. At the time of completing my open water certification, I never thought I would continue my diving education past my open water.

I have since continued my education (Master Diver) and have begun my transition to the pro side. He has been one of my greatest influences in diving as I approach becoming an instructor. Not because I learned so much from him, but rather I learned what not to be and why providing a positive experience for students is so important to the sport. I now work with a great shop and have seen what a SSI dive shop should be.

Rusty Berry is an extremely knowledgeable dive professional and extremely effective in recruiting new divers for our sport. What troubles me most about Rusty, isn't his overbearing sales pitch, or the preying on naive and inexperienced divers to pad his pockets, but rather the wasted potential of what he could be doing for our sport. I cringe to think of all of the people who he has chased away and ruined our great sport in pursuit of his own financial success.

I personally have no dealt with Rusty too much. I was considering doing a CCR class with him and he was very good about following up with me. I received a tip from a friend that I should stay away from him. On the phone it did seem like he was trying to rush me to sign up for a class, which I didnt appreciate. I ended up not taking his class for other financial reasons, not personal.

On that note, I did order 2 LavaCore vests from SSA back on June 8th at the Scuba Show in Long Beach. I told the salesperson that I would be willing to pay extra to get them by Fathers Day the following weekend. She assured me that it wouldnt be a problem. It has almost been a month and I still do not have them. The excuse they gave me is that they are currently being shipped her via shipping container overseas.... Nevertheless, I will not be a returning customer.

They have Lavacore in stock at Pacific Wilderness in San Pedro.

At Deep Blue in Long Beach, as well. I've bought all mine there. And FWIW, Lavacore DOES have fulfillment issues, to the dealers. I think it's an issue of they can't make the stuff quick enough.

Back
Top Bottom