Short V. Regular Hose Regulator

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Just curious. Which do you perfer for your safe second/backup regulator in a recreational configuration and why? The choices would be 22" hose or what is it they use in recreational class 36" or so? Anyway which do you choose and why? Thanks in advance.

I use a 36".
A. because I don't have my primary on a long hose and
B. because that is what the octo came with. (though i can't imagine air sharing with anything shorter)

In a recreational setting I use a 22" hose on a bungeed necklace.
I have had someone that was not my buddy go OOA and the long hose was easily deployed and it took me no time at all to find my safe second.
Whether rec or tech, I love the simplicity and streamlined long/ short hose set up.

A 36 to 40 inch hose is standard for an octopus/safe second rig. The primary is typically 22 to 29 inches. N

my octo is on a 22" miflex hose, bungeed. My primary is on a 5' miflex routed under my arm, if another diver needs air they get that & I get my octo.

I like it bc I never have to wonder where my octo is & the longer hose gives us more room so we don't have to be quite so cozy in an OOA situation.

How long the hose on your secondary reg is will depend on what you are going to use it for.

If you are going to donate it to another diver, 22" is awfully short and is very uncomfortable to share.

If you are going to donate your primary regulator, and use the backup for yourself, 22" is fine. But then the primary regulator needs to be on a hose long enough that it can comfortably reach to another diver, and 36" is pretty much the minimum for that. Of course, using a 36" hose on your primary makes a HUGE loop of hose out behind and beside you, to catch on stuff. A 40" hose, routed under the arm and with an angled adapter to the reg, is much better streamlined. And a 5' hose, routed under the arm and then up across your chest and around the back of your neck, is better still.

Or, you can "go all the way" and use a 7' primary hose, even in a recreational setting. Even without my can light, it stows just fine and isn't a problem, even in the thickest of kelp.

Just curious. Which do you perfer for your safe second/backup regulator in a recreational configuration and why? The choices would be 22" hose or what is it they use in recreational class 36" or so? Anyway which do you choose and why? Thanks in advance.

I've been "fiddling" with my regulator hose length and routing for awhile.

Current setup:

Primary regulator on 48" hose, routed under my arm, with 90 degree "swivel" on 2nd stage. This hose gets donated to an OOA diver.

Backup regulator on 24" hose, bungied under my chin.

I like this current configuration a lot, but I am about to try a 6' primary hose this weekend.

I had been using a 5' primary, but it was just a hair too short/tight, and pulled a bit. I like the 48" under-arm routing better, but it is still not "perfect", thus I'm gonna try the 6 footer....

I'm firmly a "sport diver" this days, but I do think that donating the primary as the DIR crowd does is a good idea, and I like having a bungied backup under my chin....

Best wishes.

Or, you can "go all the way" and use a 7' primary hose, even in a recreational setting. Even without my can light, it stows just fine and isn't a problem, even in the thickest of kelp.

I dive 7ft long hose with all possible equipment configurations (recreational, wreck, tech etc). No need for can light, I tuck my hose into webbing (camberband on bcd's). If you go down this route I would encourage changing your config to DIR. It's "silly" only doing things half right.

would a 36" hose underarm config with angled regulator be too short or still fine.
should i choose a 70 or 90 degrees angle adapter?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom