Hair Care when diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oh Tyler, you were just looking for an excuse to show us how cute you are. :wink:

I have used many hair care product and conditioner for hair care. But when i faced that my hair is being damaged so i just cut down hair . I think short style hair is good and it is easy to take care and no need to worry about hair fall as well as hair damage.

my hair gets soo gross after diving, I'll be in coz for a week diving everyday, what can I do to help minimize damage to my hair from the salt water?

visit Aquamentality Scuba Do Rags and hair wraps - Wett Your Head and check out my hair wraps. They are fun, reversable do-rags that I specifically re-designed for women divers. I have long fine hair and diving was just destroying it, mostly from it getting tangled up and getting broken from getting caught in my mask straps. I've been wearing one of my do-rags for years and my hair does great! Wearing one, along with some spray in conditioner after every dive, saves my hair. Message me from the site if you have any questions at all!

Christa

I like the sound of your hair wraps Christa, my phone can't cope with your website though so I'll take a look later :)

I have short, but mad hair, and couldn't live without my Argan oil. I use just a drop every time I wash my hair, but when diving I use up to three. It's pricy stuff, but a bottle lasts for ages. It's reef friendly, and is the only luxury my luggage allowance allows!!

I recently completed my Divemaster and after all this time have still not found a good solution for preventing my hair from getting too tangled. I recently found this product and would love to give it a try.

Neoprene Hair Gloves

They make a neoprene version in different lengths.

Braids seemed like they’d work, but it’s nearly the worst thing you can do. I usually spin it around and twist it in a tight bun and that will prevent huge tangles for those 2-3 dives.

Anyone have any luck with this brand or another updo/style?

I haven’t tried leave in conditioner, but think it could be a good choice to preventing further tangles.

My husband also has long hair, but it’s curlier than mine. The twist and bun method also works well for him.

I found those neoprene wraps difficult to put on and it didn’t stay when I tried it. I have had great success with this. https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00A...apter+hair&dpPl=1&dpID=41ZXuS0qa0L&ref=plSrch

I braid my hair and use a rubber band at the bottom of the braid to secure. This slips on over the braid rolled up and has an elastic inside of it like a ponytail holder that I put at the base of my neck then the tube rolls down over the braid. Never had it come out and can leave in multiple dives.

I have very thick, long hair. I wet my hair then twist and make a high bun. I secure it use Goody Spin Pins (2) - one on each opposite side of my bun. I secure it with 2 hairties around the bun as a "backup". This will last all day, all 4-5 dives, doing giant strides or backrolls from a skiff/dinghy. No knots. :) Remove right before showering and all is well.

https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-Assorted-Colors/dp/B003FVDNO6?th=1

Trader Joe's sells boxes of individual packets of coconut oil (like a larger ketchup packet). One packet is good for 2-3 applications. If you apply in the morning, it will last 3-4 dives on braided hair. At the end of the day, just shampoo and you are good to go. I make a small nick in the packages so it will be easier to tear open.

My solution is a little different. I have very baby fine hair and graduated bangs.

Like others have mentioned, braids are the WORST with fine hair - the braid contracts and causes all sorts of issues.

In the shower in the morning, I soak my hair, then coat with a bit of WEN - either the regular or the masque.

While the hair is still wet, I do french braid back about the front quarter of my hair on both sides and secure with a small butterfly clip or tiny elastic on each side. Then pull the tails of the braids and the rest of my hair back into a low pony. Twist up and under a neoprene beanie. I look like a total dork (even without the beanie as the front braids make me look like I'm 7), but it keeps the face fly-aways under control. Comb out after the last dive, except the braids, put back in a pony for the boat ride home or put in a hat.

Hah! I didn't know they sold such things, dorky but whatever works right? :) The one I linked to is just med weight lycra (maybe blend?), like a sturdy swimsuit fabric...doesn't keep anything dry, just keeps the hair in place.
I love my scap. My hair was getting in my face constantly - the stuff too short to fit in my ponytail. I hated a hood. I saw my husband always fiddling with his dew rag. The scap - dorky yes, but it stays in place, keeps my hair out of my face, provides a bit extra warmth, and is easily identifiable so my buddy can easily find me. And they are customizable.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom