Apeks Vs Poseidon

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I think that paring has been discussed, I'd go HOG, if just for their support of user maintenance.

I agree on the hose routing for doubles. My Dive Rite RG3100's w/ 5th port (the same routing as the HOG 5th ports) have better hose routing than my Poseidon Xstream 1st stages.
I use my Dive Rite regs for doubles, and Poseidon for singles for this reason.

I wish I had a pair of the straight Poseidon 1st stages instead of the 90 degree 1st. They would be much better for doubles.

-Mitch

I think those two regulator choices are GOOD regulator choices. To make it EXCELLENT, I would add the HOG regulators.

I dive these expensive Poseidon regs because I live in Minnesota and I like the side exhaust of bubbles. Michael Ranoine(sp?) used to service the regs for the US Navy. He told me that he has never seen or heard of a Jetstream failure. As for servicing, there's probably less of a chance a your local dive shop will service Poseidon than some more remote exotic location-like where you're at you lucky diver!. Poseidon does not have a large footprint in the US compared to Scubapro and/or Aqualung.

I have an Apeks TX50 that was used by my ex. I used it once and can't remember a thing about it. I think that's a good review for a regulator. But new Apeks tend to be expensive...as do most regulators. You can get an Apeks serviced almost anywhere.

I hear only GREAT things about the HOG regulators. They are inexpensive, and have 5 HP ports-good for twin set ups. They also make a first stage that does NOT have a swivel and has 4 HP ports.

The major advantage of Poseidon is their cold weather performance and the breathing of the Jetstream and Extreme at depth. The Cyklon are supposed to be bulletproof. But mine seemed to get more gunked up and faster than my Jetstream. There is just so little to go wrong on a Jetstream second stage-just a pilot valve. The Cyklon has a uch more complicated second stage relative to the Jetstream.

The only drawback to the Jetstream, I believe, is that you need the special hose to prevent overinlation in case there is a first stage failure. In other words, you can't just borrow a hose from a friend if your Jetstream hose has failed. The connection is non-standard on the Jetstream anyways.

so, say HELLO to my little friend, the Poseidon Extreme!!! Over pressure valve IN the first stage AND the second stage has a standard port sizing!!!

I bought my Jetstream and Apeks regs from Online dive shop, buy online diving, snorkeling & swimming equipment when the dollar was strong against the peso. I bought A LOT of dive gear then and Scubastore was wonderful.

Good Luck. Can't "go wrong" withy either manufacturer.

will a poseidon jetstream work with apeks tx50 1st stage? i have an apeks setup now. wanting to change to poseidon for recrea diving. spotted a jetstream 2nd stage on sale.

Probably. The IP for a Jetstream is 145psig. As long as you are diving in the recreational range and don't need Poseidon performance (Deep) Poseidon 1st and 2nd stage flow characteristics are very high, but if you don't have to share air deep I would have no problem with it. I don't know Apeks 1st stage maximumns.

is there a working range? apeks tx50 manual states 9-10bar ip which is 130-145psi.
will be for recrea diving not beyond 40m depth.

Back
Top Bottom