Swiss diver missing in France after attempting solo dive below 80 meters (262 feet)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That would assume he got that far down.

Getting down is not the problem and assuming no bottom at 262 I would say he went down all the way!!!

262' is ~1 ATM outside my comfort level on air, but not because of the narcosis impairment. If it's confirmed the bottom gas was air, I think it much more likely the guy took a CNS hit at a pO2 of almost 1.9 than that he did something stupid due to narcosis that caused his death whereas a "more sober" diver on 21/XX would have survived.

I would think that using a 21/XX mix would still rate a high p02 & shot at a CNS hit I would think no more than a 17/XX mix for that dive.
I don't dive air past 160.

I would think that using a 21/XX mix would still rate a high p02 & shot at a CNS hit I would think no more than a 17/XX mix for that dive.
I don't dive air past 160.

That was my point: contrary to the 'OMG, sooooo high END!' wailing above, the guy is likely not dead because he narced out of his gord, he's likely dead because .21 is too much O2 for 260+'. I'm happy with air to 240' under the right conditions/plan, but I recognize there's a chance that 1.7 may kill me; consequently, I'm much happier using 200' as my air MOD. The day I decide to go the trimix route will be the day I want more conservative pO2s for the dives I do and/or the day I need to go see something below 240'--END isn't going to play a role in that decision.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom