SCUBA dive with goggles instead of mask?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As for the snorkel, it doesn't need to be firmly attached to the strap. I lost that plastic thingie long time ago and now just tuck the snorkel under my mask strap when I need it. I would think the same would work with just goggles.

As for mask with prescription lenses, I got mine for around $100. But it would help to know how strong your lenses would have to be.

When diving, unlike with snorkeling, there are also gauges that you might want to read that tell you things like remaining air, depth, etc as well as see in the distance. For that I have a bifocal mask.

Couple years ago I did a second dive and noticed that the low visability had gotten markedly worse. Finished the dive and got on board to the crew laughing at me. I had taken the yellow mask of the person next to me rather than my own yellow mask.

Yes, a mask is necessary for diving. About as much as tires are needed for driving a car. And other than the snorkel, what are you attaching to it?

Who quoted you that much? Rx lenses are expensive, but not THAT expensive...

That was a shop specializing in glasses for all kinds of sports. In fact they also supplied my swimming goggles with prescription lenses, at a reasonable price. At that time, my research came up with three possible suppliers and they seemed the best. But when I looked for diving masks with they were the only ones who offered prescription lenses.
It is a known problem in Brazil that items that fall outside the norm can be very expensive.

you can also put sticky 'reader' lenses in your mask, like bifocals. but, yeah, you need a mask with a nose pocket to dive. the goggles are fine for surface snorkeling. have fun, whatever you decide!

WOW!
I'm amazed about the number of replies and the quality of the suggestions I got.

First, to clarify the kind of snorkel I was talking about, here is a link to the Finis product description: Swimmer's Snorkel | FINIS
It's meant for swimmers who want to concentrate on improving their stroke and it makes it unnecessary to move their heads sideways for breathing. I got it with the idea that it will allow me to stay just below the water surface for some time, observe the wildlife and perhaps take a few pictures. That in itself would be a big step forward for me. But, as has been pointed out, this is snorkeling which is a completely different kettle of fish from diving....

As far as the mask is concerned, I had so far not considered the option of ordering it from the US. Receiving goods from abroad is a bit of a lottery. It might or might not get held up in customs, there might be some delay before I am contacted, and there is no way of knowing in advance how much duty I'll have to pay. On the other hand, those shops that import the goods for you slap a 200% markup on the US retail price. So you have the choice between a rock and a hard place.
But, as there were several suggestions in that directions I followed up the links and e-mailed scubatoys.com with some questions. It turns out that the range on the Mares X Vision only goes to -7.0 whereas I need -9.0 on my right eye. There is also the Tusa mask (I didn't like the look of) that goes up to -8.0. The ideal way for me would be to order the mask with the lenses already fitted, but that would mean I didn't get the chance to try on the mask before I bought it.
At least one shop operates on the basis that I send them a mask I bought locally with the position of my pupils marked and the send it back to me with the lenses fitted. But I'm having a hard time finding any kind of mask in the sports shops in Rio. It is famous for its beaches (and the creatures that populate them), and has an active surf culture, but I don't know of any diving spot around here That may account for there being no diving gear in the shops.
In short, there are just too many uncertainties involved in the importing option. I may be going to a lot of expense and effort and still end up with something that I can't use. So I have decided that I won't be doing my "Baptism" dive this time around. I'll talk to the diving instructors to see if they can give me a few hints on where in Brazil I can get a mask for my requirements (and my wallet). I'll do some snorkeling, which I'm sure I will enjoy, and I'll climb a few mountains. There may still be another chance for my first dive. I think it's better to take thinks slow and easy rather than rushing it and be disappointed, or worse.
So, thank you all for your input. You helped me understand what's possible.

Gato

Last edited:
It turns out that the range on the Mares X Vision only goes to -7.0 whereas I need -9.0 on my right eye. There is also the Tusa mask (I didn't like the look of) that goes up to -8.0. The ideal way for me would be to order the mask with the lenses already fitted, but that would mean I didn't get the chance to try on the mask before I bought it.
I have -7 on both eyes using stock mask lenses. When I picked up my mask from my LDS, I was told that their stock lenses go up to -9. This is a ProBlue mask. I'm sure that if you shop around, you'll be able to find something that works for you. I know there's some online stores that specialize in optical masks for not a lot of money.
At least one shop operates on the basis that I send them a mask I bought locally with the position of my pupils marked and the send it back to me with the lenses fitted.
That sounds like custom made lenses. Forget about that, go with stock ones. Unless you have some significant astigmatism (let's say more than +-2.0) which absolutely requires custom lenses, then those should be good enough. The position of the eyes might not be perfect (I know for me it wasn't) and you may end up with some slightly cross-eyed vision, but that doesn't really matter much. Vision under water is different anyway, and you're not gonna wear your mask for hours at a time... you get used to it.

To me, it kinda sounds like you're overthinking the whole thing. There's plenty of people who are in the same boat as you are. The dive industry has long accommodated them and now mass produces masks and lenses for cheap. There's really no need for anything custom made.

Last edited:
have you tried to ask the place you are going to try the scuba diving .. if they have mask lens that can fit you?

I've used contact lenses since I first learned to dive. They work fine. I opt for 'disposables' just in case I lost one during mask remove/replace practice - but I've never lost one (22 years diving).

As others have mentioned, you need to be able to 'equalize' the pressure in the mask. That's done by including the nose within the air-space. Failure to do so will cause a Barotrauma (pressure injury) as you descend. External water pressure will literally 'push' the mask/goggles into your eyes, simultaneously 'sucking' your eyes into the mask/goggles. It is known as 'Mask Squeeze'. Not nice...

You could end up looking like this (or worse):

maskSqueeze.jpg

or this:

barotrauma.jpg

(Severe case of eye barotrauma from mask squeeze. Acknowledgement to Lester Quayle and Rita Barton at British Sub-Aqua Club Branch 14 (BSAC14) Home Page)

Here's a good article on 'Mask Squeeze': Scuba Dive Mask Squeeze ? Medical Dive Article ? DAN | Divers Alert Network

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom