Nitrox without dive computer?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I dove for years using a cheap timex watch, SPG and depth guage. I was diving air, not nitrox but still, I was using tables.
I think this can be a good exercise to learn tables and to learn how dive theory works to do this for awhile, however, I get the sense your wife is more interested in just using your computer and sharing. Many tech divers dive a fanceir bottom timer, which figures average depth and they use tables, even while diving big dives on trimix and calculating for deco.
However, I sense that your wife is wanting to "share" your computer. If that's the case, than this is not appropriate. Small differences in dive profile, if she stays slightly deeper than you, for instance, can make a large difference over time. Most dive boats will not allow this . Many dive boats require each diver to have their own dive computer, unless they can show that they are diving tables and that they are proficient in them.

However, typical dive computers don't know if you are feeling cold or if you are dehydrated of if you consumed alcohol (which people seem to do during vacations). Computers also don't know your body type/composition or your current fitness level. Things that are all considered factors in a diver's pre-disposition to DCS.

Just as a point, tables don't know this either, but I take your point, computers are not fail safe, just more accurate in gathering "some" data rather than assuming it.

My concern here (along with others) is the reason for her not wanting a computer (or is it yours simply based on cost?).

All options are ok (except 2 sharing one computer) as long as you both understand and follow the information you are being given by the tables/computer and understand the risks/limitations for each.

But again, not using a computer is a path to more involved dive management. If your wife wants to use the computer between her ears to manage her no deco times, then no computer is perfectly valid way to do that. If you wife is wanting to lessen the thinking/mental task loading that is involved in diving, a computer is a better way to go.

And sadly I agree, if people wish to be lazy in their pursuit of diving, then its probably the best option to use a computer so at least the computer is using its brain even if the diver choses not to, however what the diver choses to do with the information the computer gives to them is another thing. I would say "Ignore it at your peril".

I am a little bewildered by some divers attitudes to their own safety or apparent lack of caring of others safety as well. Whilst there is a very fine line between being a pain and mothering every diver you meet to just diving in isolation and ignoring others, I could not live with myself if I saw an accident waiting to happen and didn't at least attempt to communicate with the diver to let them know there is an issue that requires attention. If I were then told to %^&* off and subsequently they died, I would feel no guilt, and little remorse for them, but great sadness for those left behind.

So our comments to you are to give you the best advice we can and not beat you around the head senseless (although it might feel that way).

So on that basis my comments to you are;

Determine the reason for only wanting one computer over 2.

If wife not interested, then get her interested or make her use a computer so at least something is looking after her wellbeing while her brain is switched off (not good but better than nothing).

If your wife is interested and its a money issue, then having one computer is ok as long as you use the most conservative plan with her "USING" tables. When you get sufficient money then buy another one for her and you both can then enjoy potentially a longer dive time.

Just dive safe and have fun

Just as a point, tables don't know this either, but I take your point, computers are not fail safe, just more accurate in gathering "some" data rather than assuming it.

My point was, the computer between your ears knows all that stuff.

Once you start using the computer between your ears, you can begin to incorporate information into your diving that enhances your safety and overall experience - in ways that none of the commercially available computers can currently replicate.

The deeper you dive the more essential things like computers are.

If you never went over 40' you could get by just fine without a computer, especially using nitrox. Your NDL's at that depth are practically infinite.

For deeper dives and multi level dives computers can be very convenient.

My point was, the computer between your ears knows all that stuff.

Once you start using the computer between your ears, you can begin to incorporate information into your diving that enhances your safety and overall experience - in ways that none of the commercially available computers can currently replicate.

Agree totally, the buck stops with the diver, not the dive computer

Should you have a computer? Probably, or tables, or you could do one of the many US operations where the rental gear doesn't include a computer and everyone is following the guide who has one. Tables aren't the only thing that's padded with conservatism, computer algos are, too. Is there anything wrong with her flying your computer and staying above you? No, many divers do it very often, and not just in Egypt, SE Asia, etc.--though there's a chance that she'll wind up bent because her dive wasn't your dive after all.

If it's not an issue of cost, I don't see why she's not using her own. She doesn't want the responsibility? Then stay out of the water. If she's not interested in diving enough to own any gear and just does trust me vacation dives every once in a while, I see the sense in her taking the 'follow someone with a computer' approach. But that doesn't sound like her situation.

Don't know what exactly you mean by 'country where computers are compulsory', but in my (admittedly more limited) experience most dive ops in Egypt require dive computers. Maybe you were talking about legal obligations?

I believe that every diver should have their own computer for diving.

That said, thousands of dives are made every year where the only person with a computer is the guide. I'm thinking specifically of my experiences in SE Asia, Egypt, and NZ. The only country that I have worked where computers were compulsory for every diver is here in the Maldives.

This is backed up by the amount of 'head-shaking' I get in response to the question posed during check-in: "Have you ever used a computer?"

FTR, I believe that every diver should have their own computer for diving. The reality is though that many, many vacation divers give their NDL info away to someone 'in charge'.

Thanks for all the comments and replies. I'm going to see if I can get two Oceanic Veo 3's. Ironically, leisurepro has them much cheaper than the Veo 2 or even the Aeris A300, it's twin.

Don't know what exactly you mean by 'country where computers are compulsory', but in my (admittedly more limited) experience most dive ops in Egypt require dive computers. Maybe you were talking about legal obligations?

I just looked back in to the Maldives Diving Regulations and I was wrong in thinking they were compulsory:

Section 7: Standard Equipment for Divers and Instructors

(1) During all recreation diving activities divers must be equipped with:
a) Mask, Snorkel, Fins
b) Regulators with submersible pressure gauge and Alternative Air Source or redundant air supply.
c) Buoyancy Compensator Device (BCD) vests with oral and low pressure inflator.
d) Time and depth measuring device
e) The use of dive computers are highly recommended for all divers
f) Emergency signaling device comprising inflatable surface balloon and whistle

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom