Great White in Keys, Would You??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, let's go with the lightning example. Would you walk out in a flat field during a thunder storm with plenty of lightning, to get a closer look and some photos?

Getting in the ocean at all entails taking some chances. Knowingly getting into the immediate vicinity of a large great white shark, well, that's another kettle of fish...

Richard.

I dove and snorkeled in SoCal for a number of years, including a few biological survey trips to San Nicolas Island where I was off by myself running fish surveys while the other 4 divers were out of sight cataloging kelp and macroinvertebrates. Also had a couple of times when I went in freediving alone off Catalina and Santa Barbara Islands not long after having seen a recently mutilated sealion in the area. Compared to that, hopping in with a smallish great white in clear water, after having gotten a sense of its disposition, with a boat and help nearby sounds a lot safer. I'm more worried about the things I don't see while I'm down there - like the time on Governor's Riverwalk when I completely missed spotting several bulls and a tiger, all while the spearos were shooting cobia.

As far as riding the shark - uh-uh, fuhgeddaboutit. To go with the lightning example, that's like being the guy from Caddyshack waving his golf club in the air.

I dove and snorkeled in SoCal for a number of years, including a few biological survey trips to San Nicolas Island where I was off by myself running fish surveys while the other 4 divers were out of sight cataloging kelp and macroinvertebrates. Also had a couple of times when I went in freediving alone off Catalina and Santa Barbara Islands not long after having seen a recently mutilated sealion in the area. Compared to that, hopping in with a smallish great white in clear water, after having gotten a sense of its disposition, with a boat and help nearby sounds a lot safer. I'm more worried about the things I don't see while I'm down there - like the time on Governor's Riverwalk when I completely missed spotting several bulls and a tiger, all while the spearos were shooting cobia.

As far as riding the shark - uh-uh, fuhgeddaboutit. To go with the lightning example, that's like being the guy from Caddyshack waving his golf club in the air.

At the end of the day they are the apex predator. However, we don't smell or look like anything they eat. I don't think it is ever "safe" but, if you dive long enough and in the right places you will see them. Be smart. As my scuba instructor from over 40 years ago used to tell his students. "There are old divers and, there are bold divers but, there are no old bold divers." I love seeing them. They are beautiful and wonderful to watch. As for taking a ride on the back of one well, two words come to mind..... Timothy Treadwell. So, good luck to Ms. Ramsey. The shark is beautiful she is beautiful and it is exciting to watch.

I'd get in there with a buddy (who I can swim faster than) JK, but I would get in there with my camera, that's a once in a life time kind of thing!

I would as long as there was no chum, no spearing etc. If one swam bye me I hope to be holding a camera of some sorts to document it since it can very well be a once in a lifetime event.

There's no way in hell I'm swimming with a Great White. That movie some 3 decades ago was certainly effective.

Yep, I stopped diving for about three years after see8ing "Jaws" but then happily re-entered the water after seeing "Jaws II."

I have been in the water with great whites here in SoCal and even had a 14 footer swim past us while filming giant sea bass with my dive buddy Wyland. I would think in the much clearer waters of the Keys you would have an even better chance of them knowing exactly what you were and not bothering you. I don't think I'd jump in after seeing one up close though! I'd worry more about bull sharks and the possibility of tigers.

I would be climbing over people to be the first one in the water. I do not always think things through and act first. I have great respect for all sea creatures, but do not actually fear any of them. I would never jump into the water though, I would ease myself down a ladder to prevent any unnecessary splashing. Hopefully, I had my camera with me on this day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom