Big Island diving advice?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kat.hayes

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am still a beginner and will be taking a trip to the Big Island next month. I want to do the Manta Ray dive and will likely be able to do one other dive.

1. I'm guessing the Manta Ray night dive is pretty basic. Anyone have any comments on it?

2. Can anyone recommend any other dives that I should consider?

3. Are there any locations off the Big Island for seeing Hammerheads?

Thanks!

There are some dives where Spinner Dolphins will come and play. IDK which ones. My buddy dove with Kona Diving Co. and they went to one. Lots of dolphins - maybe several hundred in the video I saw. He was there at this exact time 2 years ago.

Something different is Pelagic Magic. But with only two dive opportunities you might skip it and do a day dive on the reef instead since it's also a night dive - but on a different day. If you were interested, there's a video on Jack's Diving Locker's website.

It appears that Hammerheads may be more in the winter: http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/hawaii/97194-kona-hammerheads.html
The sites they mention are a long way south also, IDK if anyone but the Aggressor goes there.
Steve (friscuba in the thread) recently closed his operation. Also it was almost 10 years ago that that was posted.

If you have time to snorkel, Kahuluu Beach Park is almost a given for turtles. Try not to kick the ones on the beach as you walk past :D. It's also 7' or less deep for a very long way out so good for inexperienced snorkelers.

Last edited:
The manta ray dive is pretty basic. Jump in the water and sit there. The last time I did it they gave us lights to help attract the rays. I believe max depth was 40'. You can do one tank or two. I had to call around b/c I only wanted to do one tank and the only op that was doing single-tank dives that day was Big Island Divers. Most do a two-tank dive, one dive in the late afternoon and then the second dive is the manta dive. It's your call. Personally I wasn't that impressed with the dive site in the past (you dive in the same area), plus I don't like being wet while on a boat as the sun goes down, so that's why I only wanted to do the one tank trip. It saves a few $$$ but not too much. If you're in that phase where you're trying to get as many dives as possible maybe you'll prefer the two-tank trip. Bring a sweatshirt or something if so. Just in case. (I get cold easily.)
As for other diving, I can't recommend anything in particular b/c I don't have a lot of dives over there. I've been diving with both BID and Jack's and I was happy with both the service and the dives. I don't think you'll go wrong if you book a two-tank dive with either of them.

I'm jealous, have fun! Just sign up with a dive op, BID was absolutely awesome and I highly recommend them. If you have more than 15 dives and the manta under your belt you can do the blackwater dive which is scary fun as hell.

For your two tank morning dive they will take you to where ever a mooring ball is available. Let's see what names I can remember of dive sites: freeze face, golden arches, garden eel cove, harbor entrance ---- that's it, also if you do a long range dive you have paradise pinnacle down by captain cook. QQ I really need to get back over there again!

Do the Manta Dive with Big Island Divers. For everything else go shore diving. There are tons of places to dive where entry and exit are easy. You can dive at your leisure and you do not need a guide. Many of the places the boats go are accessible from shore.

Being a newly minted diver I am very glad that when i went I had a guide. Plus, he may not have brought a buddy to the island with him. Can't go shore diving alone, well you can "hook up" with some local divers but again, as a beginner, it's a very unstressful situation and less to worry about if you are boat diving with a DM or instructor in the water guiding you and showing you the marine life.

I just booked our dives with BID for next month. Doing a 2 tank morning boat dive and a 2 tank manta dive the next day. Also since my family wants to go see some dolphins we decided to go on BIDs dolphin tour too. I'm soo excited I can't hardly wait:D

We just got back from the Big Island last month and we did several days of diving with Jack's Diving Locker, who I would say are really perfect for a beginner diver. The Manta night dive is pretty cool, ranks as one of my top dives ever. It's very easy, not very deep, they provided lights and all you do is make a big circle on a mostly sandy bottom with just about every other dive operator in the area. We only saw maybe 4 or so but they were large and literally swim right over you, the lights look a little like an underwater disco. I would not miss this dive! Also we saw spinner dolphins jumping and spinning several days while on the boat (very close) and heard them underwater but did not see them diving! Personally I would avoid shore dives in a new place and still being a newer diver, though it sure would be a LOT cheaper!

As for the Pelagic Magic, I don't know about this dive for a beginner. If you are comfortable with night dives and you have been in open water before and have a fair amount of dives under your belt then I would say go for it but I think this dive could easily freak out a beginner diver. We were supposedly in 10,000 feet of open ocean, it's very dark and they hook individual lines to you and you jump in and float about 40-50 feet below the boat. Despite being on a line, there still can be current and it's easy to get a little tangled in the lines if you aren't paying attention and you want to make sure you don't start surfacing/drifting under the boat. Plus you don't go on this dive if you will freak out about what you can't see or what you think you might be seeing! I was the second person in the water and the last to come out and apparently most of us missed a very big fight between a couple that came up early during our dive and my best guess is something happened that made her freak out underwater.

my best guess is something happened that made her freak out underwater.
Could've been the sharks bumping her in the dark...:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom