Florida Lobster Mini-Season Questions & Advise

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Michael: all the above is good advice: if you still feel like you want to go out during mini-season, I have a few thoughts.

1) consider the shallow reef in Pompano: its 30 feet deep at most and South Florida Dive HQ usually runs two boats during mini season for morning, afternoon and evening (two tank) dive trips. I couldn't escape the office last year and did a night dive with them on the Wed of mini-season. I got lucky and hooked up with a nice couple of similar skill level (~ 300 dives each) and we had a nice time, though only got one legal lobster between the three of us.

2) consider a beach dive in Dania or LBTS. My bet is Gold Coast Scuba in Lauderdale by the Sea is sponsoring shores dives both days and probably nights too. Check out their Meetup group.

3) if you are not diving with a friend and will depend on an insta-buddy on a boat, get a pony bottle and second regulator. Someone you don't know will make a really terrible buddy during mini-season and you want to be as self reliant as possible.

4) watch your gas supply: I'm pretty good on my gas consumption, but when I have to chase bugs, I can use 2X the normal rate if I really have to work at it.
Uh.. so much for task loading with it being mini season, now you are asking NEW diver to have a pony bottle and extra reg??? And to the person who suggested a night dive? Really? This is a new diver!

thanks for all of the great advice guys, it seems like i'm going to sit this one out
Smart decision

Pulling up and yanking on the dive flag seems awful dangerous what if they hit a diver ain't that the whole point of a dive flag
Been yanked up before by FWC.. and we were doing a fish count!!! didn't even have lobster gear on us!

To all of you that don't like lobster mini season... I have been lobstering in Miami & the Keys for all of my 50 years.. even when i was very young dad would put us in the sears aluminum boat and drag all six sons around to find lobster... now things have changed for sure.. but the three brothers that are left still go out a lobster every mini season... and now I put a lobster tournament on (The Miami Spiny Lobster Tournament ..mini season) ... BUT i agree it is has gotten more dangerous over the years... most deaths are caused by men who think they are still in the twenties and over do it... I agree no lobster is worth your life ... So know your limits, dive with someone you know and trust, make sure you have a good boat captain(i mean someone that will look out for you on top...) Not allow other boat on top of you, keeps track of your down time and most of all will tell you when you had enough and stay out of the water... all that being said... Miami has great spots to lobster from 5ft to 90ft.. find someone who has been lobstering before and help each other out... GOOD LUCK... IF YOU JUST WANT TO SEE BIG LOBSTER COME TO THE WEIGH-IN PARTY July 26th, @ SUNSET TAVERN / DELI LANE CAFE... (305-665-0606) lobster food specials, steel drum band, crab races, 1/2 price drinks & lots of fun... SpinyMikeView attachment 159613View attachment 159614View attachment 159615View attachment 159616View attachment 159618View attachment 159619View attachment 159620
Impressive.. member since 2009 and this is your first post. Congrats for getting over your shyness. :shades:

:D :D

Believe it or not diving inside the sanctuary areas is usually empty during these 2 days. Great to dive if you are not looking to take lobster.

I did Molasses one year and was the only boat there.

Listening to the VHF traffic during the two day affair is truly frightening. Missing divers, boats reporting picking up divers, Etc.

mm somebody mention rum? :D :D :D

Here is a question... What is best way to transport lobster back home? Any flash freeze services in ft lauderdale area?

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom