Lembeh-quality diving in late September/early October?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

thecovetrix

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I've done days' worth of research on my upcoming two-week-long trip, and now need an assist! :)

I had a phenomenal experience as a solo diver at Two Fish Divers in Lembeh several Septembers ago, and really enjoyed my diving around Bali in September, too (Nusa Lembongan, Tulamben & Gili Air).

I've done 200+ dives, am a big photographer and love macro in particular (although I enjoy it all).

I'm traveling solo again, and cost is a consideration (the liveaboards I've seen tend to tack on way too much to make up for the 1/2-filled room, and I want my own room). I'd like to spend no more than $100-150/day for a room and two dives and be able to add two or three more dives in the afternoon, which seems doable many places.

I'd like to avoid too much of a woo-hoo party or family atmosphere. I loved the Two Fish/Lembeh scene: rustic and less-developed, with other guests who compared stories over a beer or two every evening. The regional cuisine at Two Fish food was great, too - that's half the reason I travel!

As much as I loved Indonesia, I'm also curious about Malaysia & the Philippines and it would be great to do something different (I spent nearly two months in Indo last time, although only two weeks diving.)

Here's what I'm considering for my 14-day late September/early October trip (figure maybe 10 days diving):

Anilao - Is it okay in September? I hear Club Ocellaris is where it's at.
Malapascua/Bohol/Dauin/Southern Leyte - I'm looking at doing a Sea Explorers island-hop between two or three spots.
Sipadan - I hear September is a good shoulder season, but everywhere recommended I've checked is already booked!
Raja Ampat - I'd stay land-based (unless there's a liveaboard that fits my budget hiding out there).
Komodo - Liveaboards sound like the thing, but it seems like I should wait 'til I go with a buddy $-wise.

What would you recommend?

Thanks so much!

I can't help you much with the Philippines but I'm fairly confident you'll struggle to get a liveaboard to Raja Ampat or Komodo on your budget. That leaves Sipidan, we deal with a lot of resorts there and I'm sure there will be places somewhere for that travel period. You can look here to see if there's any you haven't yet tried or even if you have we may be able to get you a slot. Though withe the rumours of camera's being banned from next year it is very busy there at the moment.

I'll chime in on the destinations Onthespot didnt... that's off season in Anilao with the threat of a typhoon. Club Ocellaris is great, but likely wouldn't be open to book..I just happened to talk to them and they said they didn't have a current booking inquiry until late October. I have been in early October before and lucked out on the weather, though. The other places you're considering I think are all further south that where'd you're not as likely to get as much of an effect from a passing typhoon and would be within your budget. Of what you mention, Malapascua and Sogod Bay I'd say offer the best overall diving, but Dumaguete is also excellent with great macro that you state you enjoy.

With being someone who liked Lembeh (as do I!), you may want to also consider Ambon or Alor in Indonesia...on a par or just a notch below Lembeh in terms of excellent macro.

Last edited:
Great info - thanks! Having had a dive vacation on a remote island (in Mozambique) wiped out by weather before, I can safely say I'd rather avoid playing Scrabble for a week... :wink:

For your budget then obviously lembeh is an option as to be honest the diving is fantastic. Maybe have a look at Bangka island as well S it offers more coral but also macro. Me personally I wouldn't go bunaken.

Southern Leyte gets my vote though sept n oct is too early for the whalesharks, though the diving is cheap and excellent with good macro. Chk out Sogod bay scuba resort or peters resort. Though there was only 1 dive option in afternoon and a night dive.

Malaysia diving is not as good to be honest although the Country is great. With the exception of sipidan, mabul and kapalai.

Looking at ya budget and types of dives u want and the volume, then I would suggest south visayan Philippines where weather likely to be better, or go lembeh again. I have just my second visit there an saw so much new stuff and got great shots too!

Malaysia - tail end of good weather in October but diveable at the Sipadan area of Sabah, I would ignore anything to do with banning cameras

Philippines - tail end of bad weather, I dived at Anilao and PG last week of October last year and missed a typhoon by a week so viz was not too great but on the upside we had our own boat and guide for three of us at Crystal Blue Resort on Anilao

Back
Top Bottom