user experiences with S&S YSD1 and Inon D2000

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have a pair of brand new YS-D1 and would like to know where you took the serial numbers for the recall?

I recently purchased a second YSD1, as I was pleased with the performance of the first one, despite the recall issue that I went through, Two dives and after approx 70 flashes , I'm getting the low battery signal (red/green light). Batteries are full charged and I've switched them between the two units. No problem with older unit. The serial number is past the range of those that were in the recall, but this problem seems similar to the issue. Sigh.

Should find the recall notice on the S and S site.
Units below 104102102 and between 104102251 and 104182552- needed firmware update.

---------- Post added June 20th, 2013 at 07:00 AM ----------

The new one , I am having trouble with is 104102552

I recently purchased a second YSD1, as I was pleased with the performance of the first one, despite the recall issue that I went through, Two dives and after approx 70 flashes , I'm getting the low battery signal (red/green light). Batteries are full charged and I've switched them between the two units. No problem with older unit. The serial number is past the range of those that were in the recall, but this problem seems similar to the issue. Sigh.

How'd you make out? I had two bad ones. They replaced them under warranty. The new ones were far outside the recall range, yet stil had the problem. They replaced them with two new ones a couple of months ago and ASSURED me the problem was fixed. I haven't used them yet, but have a trip approaching. Your report really bothers me. I hope you got them fixed. Also, did the new one start acting up immediately? Thanks.

The new one did start acting up immediately. It was sent back and I am now awaiting its return. I won't know if it is a repair job or a replacement. But , will let you know. I agree it is disappointing.

I have an Inon D2000 and an Inon S2000. I bought both second-hand and the D2000 is approx. 7 years old. Never had an issue with it, I think Inon buildquality is very good. However, the YS-D1 gives you way more bang for your buck, with a GN of 32. I didn't want to buy new strobes since they were out of my budget, but if I were buying new, I would take the D1. Of course there are the technical failures of the units that are mentioned here and there, but I understand that S&s customer support is very good so I would rely on that.

Last edited:
I just spent two hours in a pool. I shot > 200 test shots without incident. Fingers crossed, but I think mine are good. My next trip is in October. I Agree that the YSD1s are fantastic when the work. I really hope the bugs are dead.

Not sure about the S&S customer service at all. I have called and emailed TUSA repeatedly with no joy at all. I will probably just use them in manual mode and not worry too much about TTL.
Bill

There is a lot of difference in power between those two strobes
Actually even the sea and sea YS-01 is stronger than the D2000
In any case of all you do is macro and close both strobes are suitable
If you shoot wide you really need to consider two YS-D1 or inon Z240
Most important is to check the strobes work with your camera

For what concerns customer service inon are great
Sea and sea are totally pathetic so make you have a working unit or return it directly to the shop

I have to agree about one thing. All I get from emails to Sea and Sea are autogenerated replies that are never followed up on. I even had difficulty registering the second YS D1 on line and still am not sure if it ever was registered.

Sea and Sea sent a replacement unit. Just received it today.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom