EPM-1 and YS-D1 problems.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

K Hayes

New
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
I have the E-PM1 with PT-EPO6L Housing and just picked up a pair of YS-D1 strobes. Playing around the house and I can't get the TTL to function. I have the camera set to P and the flash to Fill. All the images I shoot are real dark. I'm setting the strobes for TTL and holding the focus light button to get the ready light blue. The strobes are firing but the light is not going green to let me know the TTL is working.

Any advice on what I'm probably doing wrong?

Did you try a more manual mode like Aperture priority to see if that works better?

I have the non-lighted case (but with a focus light mounted on the hot shoe) and I think the strobes didn't aways fire in program mode if the camera doesn't think they are needed. I just just out using Aperture priority yesterday and I think they always fired in that mode.

I am trying to move to more manual modes to fine tune my photography -- The first step for me is moving from Program mode to Aperture priority mode.

Set your camera flash to auto. Use A,S or M modes, ISO around 200 (not auto), maybe 125/sec f/8. Just turn the strobes on to TTL, not the "blue" light TTL, which is more of a compatibility mode. Should work fine.

Jack

On Sea & Sea strobes Manual 1 is for cameras with preflash, Manual 2 is for no preflash and TTL is for those cameras shooting TTL (obviously).

If you are using 'Fill Flash' on the EPM 1 then this isn't TTL - I would suggest setting the strobe to Manual 1 as I believe that 'fill flash' is the same as preflash - that is the camera fires a small burst of flash to detect it's setting - this is the preflash - and then it fires. The strobe will then only fire on the second flash from the camera.

Hope this helps.

Karl

On Sea & Sea strobes Manual 1 is for cameras with preflash, Manual 2 is for no preflash and TTL is for those cameras shooting TTL (obviously).

If you are using 'Fill Flash' on the EPM 1 then this isn't TTL - I would suggest setting the strobe to Manual 1 as I believe that 'fill flash' is the same as preflash - that is the camera fires a small burst of flash to detect it's setting - this is the preflash - and then it fires. The strobe will then only fire on the second flash from the camera.

Hope this helps.

Karl

My experience with my E-PM1 and S&S YS-110A strobes is I got the 'best' TTL performance with the camera set to 'Fill' flash and the strobes in 'TTL' mode. This setup has also worked for other other people as well. 'Fill' flash is not the same as a preflash. 'Fill' flash is used to light the foreground while metering based upon the background.

I agree with Onewolf. Fill flash is called forced flash on some cameras. It is designed to force the camera to fire the flash (in TTL mode) regardless of whether there is enough ambient light to shoot without flash.

Concur with OneWolf. That's how mine works. You can adjust the in-camera flash EV and control your strobe output. Very cool!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom