Olympus lens cap storing underwater?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really like these soft neoprene covers -- I will have to look into that more.
It would be a great idea and easy to stash in a bcd or pocket.

For me I have been just taking off the plastic lens cap on the boat or shore and going into the water without it.

It would be a great idea and easy to stash in a bcd or pocket.

For me I have been just taking off the plastic lens cap on the boat or shore and going into the water without it.

I also leave the 'standard' port cover on the boat when I use my E-PM1/EPL6 system. Same with the dome port cover on my DSLR system. I never ever allow my cameras to go in the boat camera rinse tank which is where most damage to ports could occur..

I have a hood hat from Op/Tech which is a neoprene cover which you order by the diamter of the port. I simply take it off and put it in my BC pocket. I realise DiveAlpha doesn't have a BC so this method does not work as well for him. I take this off in the water and put it on before I hand the camera to the boat crew. In the 90s I had a boat crew member place a video housing in the rinse tank and strike a camera housing already in the tank and scratch my dome port. Becaus of this mishap I prefer to place my dome cover on before handing the camera to the boat crew.

It would be a great idea and easy to stash in a bcd or pocket...

Port covers are easy to make and you can often get material free from damaged rental suits at your LDS. They sell the wetsuit cement; sewing isn’t really necessary.

Mines very simple. Removed lanyard (string). Pit a 1" split ring (used for key rings) through where the string used to be in the cap. In the water, remove cap, hook split ring onto carabiner attached to BC

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I have some ikelite ports from my E-330 setup. Took one of the covers and tried it on my E-pm1 housing...perfect fit. I guess it's like the lenscoat , it's neoprene. I haven't taken the E-pm1 out yet, but I too was thinking about the floating hard cover. :)

---------- Post added July 25th, 2013 at 07:40 PM ----------

Not a bad price.
Ikelite 2005 Neoprene Cover for Flat Port 0200.5

The split ring solution sounds nice, at least until I can get my hands on a neoprene cover( not easily accessible in my part of the world..)

Sent from my GT-P7500 using Tapatalk 2

Totally did not notice you were in Norway, sorry. You should be able to get a dive shop that repairs wetsuits to make you. It is cheap, fits great, and even has a tab to pull it off easily. And it is easy to store.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom