Shore dive weekend of 7/24 & 25

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubaguy62

Son of Yemaya
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
Since you guys were so willing to share my last dive pre-surgery with me, I thought we could celebrate my return to the water with another shore dive (followed maybe by a BBQ at a County park). As a suggestion, Angie and I drove by Deerfield Beach a couple of days ago and it seems that beach will be quite accomodating to a group of divers. Has anyone dive off Deerfield before? At any rate, I'm up for suggestions.

Diving Deerfield Beach is fine as long as you dive all the way down to the South End of the beach past the Last Life Guard Station. The life guards will not let you dive from the main beach area. We beach dive there and thats also where Dixie Divers does a lot of their training dives for new divers. Be prepared to drop quarters in the meters. You can if lucky get a spot on the street right at the end of the beach or there is also the beach parking lot. If you have to use the parking lot, I would say drop off your buddy and all the gear and then go park the car and walk back over. Saves the old back from packing the gear so far. Same thing goes for snorkeling, the life guards will not let you snorkel off the main beach if they see your flag, they will tell you you can't. So you just go to then South end of the beach by the rocks. This is a short stretch of beach there that is considered private but they can't and don't deny access to it. Be aware of your location to the pier, you can't dive or snorkel underneath it.

The reef is about 50 yards out and starts in about 10 to 12 feet and then moves on out to the 2nd & 3rd reefs ending in about 30 feet of water. Do to boat traffic it's not advisable to go past the 3rd reef. There are also showers to use after your dive about half way back down by the parking lot.

Let me know what time you plan to meet and if I can I will join you. Hubby has to work so it would just be me. Even if I don't dive, I can bubble watch.

My other recommendation would be Lauderdale by the Sea. Its also has shallow diving and offers good beach access.

Happy Diving,

Zuzanne

Yeah! Party Time! Deerfield sounds good. I might take you up on bubblewatching, Suzanne...Other choices are Pompano Beach, LBTS (maybe the north parking lot, just for a change), Dania Beach, or Hollywood. Rick your the thread starter pick a location!

Hey thanks for your post Suzanne; very informative. The area Angie and I went to did have a lifeguard shack and it was about 1/4 mile south from the pier; it was the shack adjacent to the restrooms and the vending machines. I didn't see any other lifeguard shacks south of that one, so I will take it for granted that the area you mean is south of that lifeguard shack.

I'm always up for new dive sites, so I vote for Deerfield Beach, and will keep Pompano Beach as an alternate. Afterwards we can hit Tradewinds park if you guys want.

Grier..bring the family and if the grandparents are still with you, bring them also. You know the kind of gatherings we all have, so I'm sure everyone will have loads of fun.

Rick, your welcome. Deerfield, Pompano or LBTS are all good for me for Saturday the 24th. Let me know which one and what time you all will be showing up.

Zuzanne

Hey Everyone,

I'm back from my honeymoon :07: and a little shore dive sounds great for the weekend. I can make it on Sunday and the wife and kids will also come along so I'll check back to see what's been planned.

Juan

Scubaguy62:
Grier..bring the family and if the grandparents are still with you, bring them also. You know the kind of gatherings we all have, so I'm sure everyone will have loads of fun.

Y'know, I was thinking of doing just that. How's the snorkeling at the site?

-G

Hey Guy!

Glad your back! I'm not stealing this thread, but feel free to ease back into the sport with some snork...I mean freediving tomorrow Sat. 7/16 at the Dania Erojacks. It'll be light but you could test out that hand and see how it does! :wink:

¡Hasta luego, amigo!

Nate

algal bloom:
Hey Guy!

Glad your back! I'm not stealing this thread, but feel free to ease back into the sport with some snork...I mean freediving tomorrow Sat. 7/16 at the Dania Erojacks. It'll be light but you could test out that hand and see how it does! :wink:

¡Hasta luego, amigo!

Nate
Hey Nate thanks for the wishes. That was the plan until I remembered that Angie has to work tomorrow and Alexis will not be available to babysit, so unless a BW miraculously appears, I'm afraid I'm going to have to sit this one out.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom