Two major scuba companies do not repair their out of warranty dive computers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

good info

Recently I returned to the US for my yearly list of items that almost have to be done stateside. The number one item was to have both my dive computers repaired,a Suunto Mosquito,replaced 3 years ago,400+ dives & a Uwatec Adalin Tec (Scubapro) 800+ dives. So I happily sent them off to the authorized Suunto/Subapro dealers. To my surprise the following emails were sent to me.

"I have received your two dive computers. Replacement button parts are no longer available for the Mosquito. The only parts not yet discontinued are the battery kits.Also, I called Scubapro to ask about the Aladin Tec and they will not service that button problem either. They said you could only replace it.
Sorry for the bad news. Do you want me to ship these back to you for the cost of freight or can I throw them out?"

After my response:

"Yes, I am just the messenger. The Mosquito is a 2007 serial number and was discontinued several years ago with the D4. And yes, the Mosquito had button problems. Although we are a Scubapro dealer, I was not familiar with the Aladin Tec and had to call Scubapro customer service for info on that. It is also discontinued and according to them, not fixable. Almost all the SCUBA companies only have a two year warranty on the computers and don’t seem to support the old technology when new ones comes out unfortunately.
I will ship them back tomorrow for the price that my UPS program says it cost to ship to your address"

What? The Suunto needed 2 small plastic function buttons replaced and the Scubapro needed a small retainer e-ring installed on the end of the function button shaft otherwise they worked just fine. These computers can not be repaired? I did not received any notices or was there any information on my sales receipt that these products would be unserviceable after the 2 year warranty expired. Is this just the sign of the times to be deceived into buying a more expensive replacement? As a finanically challenged dive master and/or dive guide,these are very important & expensive tools that should be serviceable just like the rest of my equipment. Just passing on basic scuba equipment information...

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

I have an old Aladin computer around somewhere that doesn't work. It's otherwise in great shape. I bought it right before I took about a 5 year hiatus from diving and when I got back into it I discovered it had issues. Maybe you could cannibalize it for parts?

If you want it, I will give it to you for the price of shipping. That is if I can find it.

Suunto has reputation for excellent customer service. I would try contacting the company itself, not a dealer that can't be bothered with old computers and would love to sell you something else.
Specifically note that you won't be buying if models are going to beome outdated this fast. They go out of their way to make you change your mind about their product. They seem to understand that customer service is a big part of a long-term game.

I have Oceanic computers and Shearwater.

I had an Oceanic VEO-250 which had a fault out of warranty and they fixed it quickly for a fixed fee. I also had an Oceanic BCD which had pocket damage (wear from use) and they replaced it with another (better condition) second hand one for a nominal fee. Both times, they were quick to sort the issue and offer repair at a reasonable rate. This is how a responsible and reputable company operates.

I have 2 shearwater Petrels and loveeeee them. From all reports they are great with their after market service work too.

I, like many are loyal to quality companies and give them a good wrap and buy regularly from them, I drop bad companies in a heartbeat and make sure I tell their bad stories far and wide.

All companies should remember in this time of the internet and instant communication;

"Good News travels fast, but Bad News travels faster"

For the cost of some of these "recreational" computers, you can get a MUUUCCHHHH nicer technical computer that will do the same things (and more to grow into later).
They have big bright displays, very configurable, logging, etc all built into them.

I have the Shearwater Petrel that I bought new for much less than some of these lesser optioned recreational computers.
I couldn't be happier with my purchase. It does everything and more.

If you scour the technical diving forums (even if you aren't a tech diver) you will see thread after thread of people praising Shearwater for their excellent customer service, repairs, quick turnarounds, etc.

Don't buy retail either. Check out technical shops, such as cave diving shops, and you will start to find much better pricing on dive computers, lights, etc.

If you look at the top 2-3 best computers that all the tech divers use and love, you will see they are priced the same as or better than the expensive recreational computers...and these are computers that go into some pretty extreme places. I would highly recommend one of these types vs another recreational computer any day. Even if you never use all the options, they are just much better built for the same prices.

Thanks everyone for your experiences & advice. I still waiting on the 'authorized repair shop' to return my two computers back. We will see if Suunto & UWATEC have a decent customer 'care' department.

KT

Thanks everyone for your experiences & advice. I still waiting on the 'authorized repair shop' to return my two computers back. We will see if Suunto & UWATEC have a decent customer 'care' department.

KT
KT,

If you need any assistance on the Scubapro one, please let me know.

I contacted Suunto dealer (Aqualung) on my Mosquito wrist mount. Both tech support and customer service said they were 'very sorry' but could not help me at all. No solution,no tade-in,no support. On my UWATEC (Scubapro) Tec console mount was a completely different story. They could not repair the old computer but gave me a great trade-in replacement offer I could not refuse. I was hoping my many years 'working customer support' would pay off one day. All my dive equipment from OW cert through DM has been Scubapro. I'm sure glad Suunto isn't in the business of professional dive equipment. Hope this infomation and experience has been heplful...now back to diving Alona Beach,Panglao,Bohol,PI.
Dive safe & Have fun!

KT

That's why I stick with cheap computers. If the manufacturer won't fix 'em, then I chuck 'em and buy a new one.

I love the Suunto D3 as a bottom timer and free diving watch, but Suunto won't fix 'em!

On my UWATEC (Scubapro) Tec console mount was a completely different story. They could not repair the old computer but gave me a great trade-in replacement offer I could not refuse. I was hoping my many years 'working customer support' would pay off one day. All my dive equipment from OW cert through DM has been Scubapro. I'm sure glad Suunto isn't in the business of professional dive equipment. Hope this infomation and experience has been heplful...now back to diving Alona Beach,Panglao,Bohol,PI.
Dive safe & Have fun!
This example is why I prefer to sell Scubapro. I have been using Scubapro fo 40 years. Their customer service has been superior!

Back
Top Bottom