Advice to new divers: Never buy a integrated VELCRO only BCD

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because it is not good for businesses to piss off customers.

Even an answer that it is not economically repairable by the manufacturer with a recommendation of using a weight belt would be something. But I suspect there are other solutions available if an engineer put his mind to it. If the life cycle of a TUSA BCD is less than 7 years there is a bigger problem.

I wonder if these people can also operate a seatbelt in a car? A little attention to detail when setting up gear and when getting in to the equipment usually means a stress-free dive. Rushing (or getting rushed) makes for a cluster IME.

Getting the clips right in the water is difficult. Not being able to clip a weight belt in when you are sitting on dry land and can look at your BCD is a bit stupid; but in an OW class where you are asked to remove the weights and put them back in while in the water, where you can't see what you are doing, I can see how someone can make a mistake.

Find a person who repairs horse blankets or car seats. They can sew anything with their heavy duty sewing machines. Shouldn't cost much to sew a little velcro on.
or,glue it on with epoxy,hot glue or other tough glue.
This is why I like the hogarthian system. Every possible failure point has been thought out and discarded. Only the toughest gear remains.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2013 at 12:37 PM ----------

Getting the clips right in the water is difficult. Not being able to clip a weight belt in when you are sitting on dry land and can look at your BCD is a bit stupid; but in an OW class where you are asked to remove the weights and put them back in while in the water, where you can't see what you are doing, I can see how someone can make a mistake.
Sounds like maybe your buckle has an issue. They should be pretty easy to work with.

---------- Post added July 23rd, 2013 at 12:38 PM ----------

As an early adopter of integration you ended up with a first pass design and they have improved frm there. Most products evolve but companies don't provide perpetual upgrades.

Bought in 2007, 110 dives. ... Question... Is Velcro more stable if stored mated or apart?

I have a good deal for you on a 2004 DIva LX with Velcro weight pockets.

Pete
Early? 2007? Integration was out back in the mid-90s when I started diving. I would hope after more than a decade they would have ironed out the details.

I have a friend that pack something like 12 lbs into each weight pocket and then he was pissed when he lost one of the pouches. He has since taken another look at my system of one 6lbs in each pocket and then 12 on the belt. A lot fewer problems when dealing with that. Overstuffing all your weight into pouches just increases the likelihood of a problem.

I still dive my original weight belt from the 1980s. original webbing and metal Dacor buckle. The only part I have had to change were the nylon pieces I added in the early 2000's to keep the weights from sliding around. Quality metal buckles will last forever, and I suppose quality nylon will last a fair amount of time. I think the reason we don't see weight belts with Velcro releases are that they will deteriorate over time when exposed to stress. I bet if you don't overweight the BCD integrated pouches, they will last longer.

Weight belts DO share the same problem of having to do two things equally well, which is why people lose them.

I've become a big fan of the Mako rubber freediving weight belts (thank you, Dumpster Diver!). They seem to do as well as anything I've found at holding weights securely AND releasing them when asked. But if you have to have weight-integration, I think the plastic clips are better than Velcro.

Because Tusa didn't invent velcro...

---------- Post added July 22nd, 2013 at 02:58 PM ----------

Bearing in mind that even a poorly trained monkey could do either one, I certainly would say it is less of a selling point for ease of use or safety rather than simple convenience.

Thank God... because I QUALIFY!!!

Because it is not good for businesses to piss off customers.

Even an answer that it is not economically repairable by the manufacturer with a recommendation of using a weight belt would be something. But I suspect there are other solutions available if an engineer put his mind to it. If the life cycle of a TUSA BCD is less than 7 years there is a bigger problem.

I agree on all counts. I think I just made the assumption that TUSA would (or did) say something along the lines of "it's not cost effective to you for us to try and repair it", but they may not have done so. I guess I just gave them the benefit of the doubt that they at least tried/would try to explain something, rather than a flat out "no" with nothing further.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom