Tourists’ initial stay in the Philippines extended from 21 to 30 days

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
5000 - ∞
Good news, if you plan on visiting the Phils..

Tourists’ initial stay in the Philippines extended from 21 to 30 days

MANILA, Philippines—Starting August, visitors from 151 countries can enter the Philippines without a visa and can extend their stay up to 30 days, according to the Bureau of Immigration (BI).

BI officer-in-charge Seigfred Mison said on Tuesday the visa-free entry privilege has been extended from 21 to 30 days as part of the government’s efforts to draw more foreign tourists to the country.

The Department of Tourism is targeting 5.5 million foreign tourists for 2013 and double the figure by 2016. The tourism agency estimated that up to seven million jobs would be generated for Filipinos if the targets were achieved.

Mison noted that the new visa policy was adopted pursuant to a circular from the Department of Foreign Affairs issued on July 1. He said the bureau recently finished updating its computerized travel control systems in various ports of entry in time for the implementation of the new visa scheme.

While the scheme would allow foreign travelers up to 30 days in the country, visitors from Israel and Brazil shall be allowed an initial stay of 59 days following existing bilateral agreements, according to Mison.

He also emphasized that foreigners could only avail of the visa-free privilege if their passports were valid for at least six months beyond their intended period of stay.
“They should also present return tickets to their country of origin or onward tickets to their next country destination,” he said.

When asked whether the new scheme would affect the bureau’s collection, Mison said reduction might be minimal since many tourists who usually extended their visit actually stayed more than 30 days in the country.

“Yes to a certain extent since tourists who will be here for more than 21 days but less than 30 days will no longer file extensions,” Mison told reporters.
“But reduction may not be significant since tourists who really extend stay here for more than 30 days,” he added.

Reactions: jbb
this is great news as I have had to do a visa extension just for a couple of days which if I arranged with a consulate in the States was about $150 with overnight post etc. Hard to justify just for a couple of days but helps when you want to visit more than a couple of dive locations.

There is no reason to get a visa extension before you travel to the Phils from the States. I have been living in Alona Beach,Panglao for 3 years and only left twice. THere has not been any denials from any of the many long stay tourist I have known. It is only $75usd for the first extension then goes up after that. The new visa revision is a great idea giving you extra time to visit us all here on Alona Beach!
Dive safe & Have fun!

KT

this is great news as I have had to do a visa extension just for a couple of days which if I arranged with a consulate in the States was about $150 with overnight post etc. Hard to justify just for a couple of days but helps when you want to visit more than a couple of dive locations.

You can do it at the airport on arrival, easier & cheaper

Checking the Embassy of the Philippines website this evening - 22 APR 2014

Embassy of the Philippines - About the Philippines

[h=3]Travel Formalities[/h]VISA
Tourists can visit the Philippines without a visa if staying in the country for 21 days or less; provided tourists have a passport that is valid for at least 6 months and a return ticket or a ticket to another destination outside the Philippines. If you wish to stay longer you must obtain a Visa Extension either before your trip from a Philippine Consulate or Embassy. Or, once in the country, you may obtain it from the Bureau of Immigrations.

The fact that the website/s aren't updated is little surprise. The contact/location info for the Olongapo B.I. sub-office is 6 years out-of-date, it's moved location 3 times since it was at the listed address.... Sadly, the official B.I. website, and other official websites aren't the place to look for credible immigration info.

I was in the Bureau of Immigration yesterday. They've just changed the tourist visa requirements/form (no warning....so there were a lot of people in crisis) and now require a passport photo and TWO (2) local contacts/sponsors for each tourist visa extension. A lot of people had queued for a while and then discovered they needed a passport photo and didn't have one with them...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom