Recommendation for a New Diver ( Suunto D4i / D6i / Oceanic OCS / Oceanic Geo 2.0)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1. Get the puck and don't go for the digital compass. Don't know the D6 setup (pretty sure its this way on the OCS), but I suspect you have to switch screens to get to the compass. I prefer always to see my basic data on my computer. I guess I'd like it better if you could see everything at the same time, but then you are wearing something that looks like your living room TV on your arm. Digital compass IMHO is a cute idea, but I think there really are limits on how much you should cram into one piece of electronics. Buy it for what its good at and get a separate compass. My wife has a puck and I've used it half a dozen times. It's so easy you really don't even need the manual. I also have a Gekko which is on the same level, but between the 2 I'd go for the Mares.

Battery Replacement Costs

Can't stress enough the above. You can't change the battery yourself, you have to have it done at a dive shop / dealer, that will reseal it properly and guarantee the work. If you did yourself and it leaked, you're out of luck.

Suntoo doesn't have the best replacement costs overall.

I have two tethered Cobra's that will cost me over 40$ each to change a 4$ battery.
(Tethered = they replace the analog console. If computer dies, you don't dive. In all fairness, the battery should last longer than 5 years.)

Hi all

I''ll be buying a dive computer for myself soon. I'll be waiting for the ADEX 2012 dive convention in Singapore this April.

I got mine on May 31 and was very excited at first: I did 5 dives during 3 weeks and I was initially amazed by the compass, USB connectivity etc, but then it failed: MODE button was dead. Just not working.
Despite being new they DIDN'T offer me a replacement unit and I had to send it to Florida for repair. And Still here I am, waiting for my "new" big bucks investment to be "glued and reparired".
Such an expensive dive compuer should NOT fail this way, so miserably, after just 3 weeks of normal usage, no it can not be this bad. No. What about a failure at 120 ft with mixed air? It could be catastrophic! YOU COULD DIE OR GET SEVERE INJURIES.
Just 3 weeks of usage, two dive trips and my "brand new D6i" failed. UNACCEPTABLE quality. And no: the watch was never dropped, no bumps, no hits at all. It just stopped working. And Suunto doesn't care if it is brand new, less than a month: No replacement whatsoever.
At first the seller (Dexclusive) tried to blame me, then after many explanations they acknowledged the watch was faulty, but no: no replacement: "Send it back for repair" they insisted.
I will never buy anything Suunto again. DON'T BUY SUUNTO UNLESS YOU LIVE IN FINLAND OR NEAR (very near) A REPAIR CENTRE. BEWARE. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED.

My professional experience on dive computers is spend your money on the manufacturer that stands behind their product. UWATEC (Scubapro) does and Suunto does not. Read my post "Two Major dive companies that do not repair computers out of warranty"
Dive safe,Have fun!

KT

UPDATE:
I learned I bought the D6i from a non-authorized dealer and thus I may have gotten a Lemon; that's why I didn't have authorized service coverage. It was a real mess... My suunto D6i never came back and I missed a computer during my last week dive trip (the only one in the boat without one).

At least The seller refunded my money and Chriss from Suunto was very kind and communicative during all the process, so I will give Suunto a point on that and that's why I'm updating my experience.

Now I have to make up my mind between another Suunto (from an authorized delaer this time) or an Oceanic OCx or something else. I need a computer that can double as an everyday watch. Cool but functional.

PS: I'm advanced and starting rescue next week. Appart from watch-sized I also need "freedive" mode and integrated compass. What would you recommend??

Now I have to make up my mind between another Suunto (from an authorized dealer this time) or an Oceanic OCx or something else. I need a computer that can double as an everyday watch. Cool but functional.

PS: I'm advanced and starting rescue next week. Apart from watch-sized I also need "freedive" mode and integrated compass. What would you recommend??

My Course Director uses this: Welcome to Sherwood Scuba! I asked him about it and he loves it. He wears it as a watch and it costs less than $400.00.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom